What's your favorite oddball channel?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by swinca, Jul 11, 2007.

1. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all

Advertisements

What is your favorite channel outside of the major networks (ABC, etc) and other big players like HBO, A&E, etc?

Mine is Gallery HD. It's part of the VOOM network on Dish. I love watching shows about art in HD. Watching these shows makes me want to take vacations to visit different art museums and galleries all around the world. Maybe I'll combine a museum vacation with a bbq tour (my other dream vacation). :)

2. visionary

visionary HAVE BRAIN WILL USE!

May 31, 2006
    Norfolk Va.
    Nasa-TV. You have to have Dish or DTV to get it, no cable system will carry it even though it is free and tax paid. It has far more than just launches, all kinds of science shows and all the current exploration as well as history shows. It is a shame so few can see it, a disgrace to our country and its dumb people. Overseas far more know about out space program than we do here and follow it.

3. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    It's on one of teh Cox digital tiers here in Phoenix. My dad thought it was the best thing since sliced bread when he got it.

4. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    HGTV. It's basically the default channel if there is nothing else on and I still want to have something on in the background. I must watch something like 25 hours of HGTV every week.

5. TiVoCrastinator

TiVoCrastinator I'll watch it later.

Jul 30, 2006
    Lewiston, Idaho

Advertisements

PBS. Does that count ? I'm an OTA subscriber, so I don't get cable channels.

6. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2001
    If there's nothing else on, I'll watch the Weather Channel.

7. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    From the late '80s to at least 1997, the cable system in Tampa, Florida, carried NASA TV while space missions were underway on one of their "educational access" channels -- haven't lived there in 10 years, so I don't know if it's still available.

That said, my favorite channel no one's ever heard of is RFD-TV, because they have more train-related programming than any other network (except on days when there's a derailment, and then the news channels beat them :D ).

8. stalemate

stalemate McGruber

Aug 21, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    Unfortunately for me, QVC has taken the place of our off switch on the TV.

9. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    The weather channel is dead to me.

10. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    HGTV, DIY, Chiller.

11. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    MeTV--a local independent out of Chicago. They run lots of old stuff, but I regularly watch Star Trek TOS (the new version with the updated FX) and the old Mission: Impossible series.

12. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    I wish they could launch MeTV nationally. That's a great, great, great lineup they air. It's what TV Land should be airing.

13. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    To my knowledge, no public access channel in the Tampa area covers the launches as you describe here. Even if they did, I've seen local coverage of sporting events, their "HD" is terrible. I'd rather Discovery HD cover the launches or something like that. At least then you know they are being produced with high quality professional-grade equipment, which isn't alway the case in the "public access" domain.

14. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    TLC/Discovery/Travel for shows like Overhaulin' and Best places to...
    BBC America - The F Word, Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, Graham Norton, MI-5 (Spooks) - although I never forgave them for dropping EastEnders.
    HGTV - Househunters

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I thought you all meant really odd channels. If you include things like BBCA then my list expands, BBCA, Military (all the History channels) All the Discovery Channels, SF channel etc.

16. panictivo

panictivo Registered Fool

Mar 3, 2001
    Arden...
    I like to check out the RFD (Rural / Farm) channel. They have lots of "interesting" shows on trains (toy and real), and old tractors. You learn more that you ever thought you would want to know about train and tractor history.

I like the old music shows that they have. I am not a big fan of country music, but some of these shows are so old it is like a trip through a TV museum. You get to see some stars before they became famous.

I don't think you can find such a wide mixture of Blue Grass, Gospel, and Polka music on any other TV channel. Even if you don't care for those types of music, you can appreciate the skill of the performers and joy they bring to their performances.

Checkout the rfdtv web site for more details.

I watch on DirecTV channel 379.

17. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    Me too. I used to love getting the local weather on the 8's when I had Comcast. The Dish doesn't seem to know where I live, so no local weather. :thumbsdown:

18. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I can't say, it is too embarrassing.

19. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    HGTV, especially when Kendra Todd is on "My House Is Worth What?" There's some really odd shows on late at night on that channel, so its a nice alternative to infomercials.

[​IMG]

20. Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I spent the extra $ to get the old OLN channel, now VERSUS, on DTV. After I saw the first live tv coverage of the America's Cup, I knew I had to watch more. And of course, they're right now doing the Tour d'France. Some of the fishing coverage, particularly Tred Barta, is off the wall also. I would also add the RFD channel for the old loco stuff. And never, NEVER, start watching the cattle or horse auctions without pushing the red thumb... if tivo selects it for wishlist recording, you can lose other stuff in 10 to 20 hour chucks as those go forever. The auctioneers on these are a riot to watch also. I find the skiing stuff on FUEL to be some pretty amazing stuff also and some of the skate boarding overseas stuff is fascinating.