What's with the Greenish Hue?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by travisc77, Aug 13, 2007.

1. travisc77

travisc77 Member

May 25, 2005
    I'm not bashing the TivoHD at all, but I have a bit of a problem that maybe comes from it. My install went fine, I'm currently waiting for Cablecards to be installed tomorrow. I already have an S3 with cards and the install was relatively painless. The only pain on the S3 is the terrible support for HD in Corpus Christi, TX. As of now we only have NBC broadcasting in HD.

Back to the problem, I have some weird coloring on my Westinghouse LCD HDTV that makes most everything looks sort of like the Matrix (greenish hue). It is on most channels, not terrible on all channels, but definitely bad some channels. This looked like a calibration issue, and this Westinghouse has a built DVD, so I popped in the Incredibles DVD and went through the THX calibrating thingy. The DVD's look fine, in fact looks great.

I'm sure after the cable cards I'll know more, but has anybody ever heard of a tuner having these types of issues?

2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Are you using a component video cable between your Tivo and TV? I had this problem with my old sony DVD player and my Hitachi plasma. I tried tweaking the color settings but never did get it resolved. Eventually I switched over to a HDMI cable instead, and have had no problems since.

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Are you using component or HDMI? If using component, you may want to try HDMI. You can get a HDMI cable from Monoprice.com for <$10.

Also, did you calibrate your TV using a standard DVD or upconverting player? Most modern displays store separate settings for each input, and some displays even store separate settings for HD and SD signals.

4. bhaas

bhaas New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    MD
    if using component, make sure all 3 are firmly seated at both ends. This has happened to me- the Pr was loose, causing loss of some color signal (red) and everything looked greenish.

5. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    HD and SD video standards have different forumlas for mapping the colorspace to YPrPb signal levels. It could be the TiVo is sending out HD color and the TV in interpreting it using the SD color matrix. The the TV's setup menus to see if you have the option of configuring it.

6. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Also, if using component, double check the connections. It's easy to reverse the green and blue.

7. travisc77

travisc77 Member

May 25, 2005
    I am using component, this TV was using the S3 on HDMI w/o this issue. I'll probably swap an HDMI cable to see if the problem persist after the cable cards are installed. It does seem to be a signal issue, I just wonder if its a cable issue or a TivoHD component output issue. I guess theres no way to check this unless I connect the TivoHD to another TV and see if I get the same results.

8. shoeboo

shoeboo Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Safety...
    Have you tried restarting the tivo? My tivo lost the color yellow while I was fast forwarding the night I got it. I checked the cables which were fine so I restarted the tivo which brought the colors back to normal. This hasn't repeated in the two weeks I have had the THD.