What's Up with the New Version of the Premier?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by miwi98, Jul 11, 2012.

1. miwi98

miwi98 New Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I have two Premier boxes the newer one is only 1 year old and I have a Toshiba DVR connected to it and that is connected to the TV but I can not view my TiVo unless the DVR is on. My other Premier is connected the same way and I do not have this problem. What's up with at? Can any one help me?
    Thanks
    :mad:

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    This is very confusing. Is the Toshiba DVR a TiVo series 2 with a DVD player or burner built into it? If so, why are you connecting it to a Premiere, Two DVRs in a row between the cable and your TV sounds like a very bad idea to begin with. Just use the Premiere and be done with it.

Now if the Toshiba is really a DVD recorder and NOT a DVR, your setup almost makes some sense. Of course the DVD recorder is a standard Def device, so you are throwing away a high definition signal to use it. Is that what you want? Why? If it is what you want, you can always feed the DVD recorder to a different TV input than the Premiere. If your TV is prehistoric, get a video switcher for it to do this for $20 at Wal-Mart. Then you can watch the premiere on one input no matter what the DVD recorder is doing.

If my two guesses at your setup are wrong, please provide enough information so I don't have to guess.

If you have Premiere DVRs, and don't have a HDTV, I suggest getting the HDTV be your highest priority, a direct HDMI connection from the Premiere will provide a superb picture that you will most likely love. It will also have SD inputs that you can feed the DVD recorder to so you can make SD DVDs of some shows when you wish to.

For instance I do something similar with a Humax S2 TiVo DVR with built in DVD burner. It connects to the SD output of a satellite receiver, the TV plugs into the HDMI output of the satellite box. I can watch HD when I want and let the DVR record SD when it doesn't conflict with my watching. I can also watch SD off the DVR or burn shows to DVD on the DVR when I plan to travel and want to take some shows with me. These DVD burner TiVos are really nice for that; there is no PC or software needed, no unwanted delays, just choose, burn and go.