What's the Status of Streaming?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GatorBlues, Nov 29, 2011.

1. GatorBlues

GatorBlues New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Does anyone know when TIVO will offer streaming between boxes in lieu of transfering, which I understand is not allowed for certain copy protected recordings? It was much discussed when the company temporarily and unofficially released streaming under the radar, but all has been quiet since they shut it down some months ago.

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Copying is not supported by an unmodified CableLabs compliant DVR for any copy protected recordings, and that includes all TiVos Series III and above. Reportedly streaming between Premier units was enabled for a short time, as you say, but no, nothing has been mentioned since, to my knowledge.

3. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  4. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    I wonder if 14.9 plus a server switch being set will allow streaming between Premieres.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Streaming is already in 14.9 as seen by the RCN TiVos that are using the same code base. Why TiVo is holding back enabling it is anyone's guess.

6. Dec 2, 2011 #6 of 26
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    They must be trying to figure out a way to charge for it. They wouldn't hold back just because the bugs haven't been worked out or it hasn't been fully tested. That has never stopped them from releasing updates in the past.

7. Dec 2, 2011 #7 of 26
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    They definitely needed to do something. When it was enabled, if you tried to read/write more than six concurrent streams the Premiere would reboot(With the Elite if you tried to read/write more than eight)

8. Dec 2, 2011 #8 of 26
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    They "need to do something" about lots of issues. It doesn't mean they care enough to do it. There are lots of bugs they have ignored for YEARS.

9. Dec 2, 2011 #9 of 26
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Most are minor bugs.

10. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Totally disagree on this point. RCN is a very controlled deployment with all MRS being over hardwired ethernet or MoCA. When they release MRS into the wild they will have a lot of wireless users attempting to stream and potentially having less than optimal results. I believe TiVo fears that their support organization would be swamped with calls so they are trying to figure out a way to deploy MRS in a controlled manner to minimize bugs and maximize the user experience. I wouldn't be surprised that they are testing these things right now to provide a better MRS experience on 14.9. TiVo is known as a company that thoroughly beta tests before deployment unlike some other companies that release very buggy software. I still expect we will see MRS very soon but I wouldn't be surprised or dissapointed to see some caveats from TiVo. I wouldn't mind if they released it as a Beta similar to the way they released TiVo Search.

11. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Huh? :eek:

I do agree with your point about wireless being a problem. When MRS was mistakenly released I was not able to use it with my Wireless G adapters. One of the Tivo's was just too far away. Now that I have a MoCa setup I don't expect to have much problem.

I think the best thing Tivo could do it to bring down the price of the N adapter. It is very expensive for just an adapter or they could support other adapters.

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Ouch. I just pulled a muscle laughing so hard. :)

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    First of all, any wireless bridge will work with the TiVo, so I'm not sure what you mean by "support other adapters". Secondly, the TiVo wireless N adapter is priced competitively with other wireless N bridges. Typical prices for a wireless N bridge run from about $40 to $90. The TiVo is $63 at Amazon.com.

14. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Rainwater, I wish I could point you to a specific engadget podcast from a few months ago where host Ben Drawbaugh talked extensively about the conservatism of TiVo when it comes to rolling out new software and products. I wish TiVo would transform itself and offer public Beta's to anyone interested in playing with immature software but right now its not in their DNA. It goes along with the lack of transparency when it comes to release notes and future product plans.

15. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Exactly. Tivo has always been able to talk the talk. They haven't been able to walk the walk in a very long time.

16. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I don't disagree that they don't have a good testing program. But they have rushed so much stuff out the last two years, it's hard to not laugh at saying they aren't releasing buggy software. If it was 2-3 years ago, I would agree with you.

17. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Conservatism doesn't mean they don't release buggy software to the broader user base. If the Premier is not proof of that, I don't know what else to tell you.

18. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I would think there would have been pressure to enable streaming before the holiday shopping season and launch a whole home DVR campaign. There must be significant issues with streaming.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Plans like that would have had needed to have been made months ago to advertise it properly during the holiday season.

20. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Plus, TiVo can't really advertise streaming until they offer a whole home solution (aka the Preview). I mean, they can advertise streaming Premiere to Premiere, but I don't think it would sell any boxes. And I'm not sure of how you really push that in advertisement. It's not compelling to most users unless you are talking about the Preview.