What's the real truth? Transferring Mini lifetime

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by roveer1, Oct 19, 2020.

1. roveer1

roveer1 New Member

Oct 19, 2020

Advertisements

I want to buy a used mini on eBay with lifetime service to add a tv to my system. I've been searching as to whether this is allowed. Of course everyone in eBay advertises lifetime but I believe they are all wrong, and selling hardware that can't be transferred. I keep finding this page from Tivo that says you CAN'T transfer lifetime service unless you meet certain conditions.

What's the real truth here? I really don't want to go through all the trouble and then have to fight with a seller about returning. Does Tivo allow those sellers to transfer lifetime subs? I've also read that they have "offers" every once in a while where they allow this to happen. I don't want to wait around for an "offer". I need to set this up and have it work.

Tivo Customer Support Community

Thanks,

Roveer

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    You misunderstand that article. It says lifetime cannot be transferred from one device to another, which is true. When you buy a lifetime TiVo from someone else, it’s the same device, not a different one. Lifetime stays with the device regardless of the owner. The only exception is cable company owned Tivos. That’s what you have to watch out for.

I have bought and sold several lifetime Minis without issue.

3. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    Just made sure they are an retail Mini, not an mini sold to a cable company. I was unable to activate one of those, but I did get a full refund from seller since it was not usable.

4. roveer1

roveer1 New Member

Oct 19, 2020
    Of course what does it say on the remote in the eBay listing... "Charter HD". Guess I should stay away?

5. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas

Advertisements

I would.