What's the logic of defaulting to Live TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by BetaMark, Sep 16, 2011.

1. BetaMark

BetaMark New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Van Nuys, CA
    I'm liking the HD interface of the Premiere (at least, what there is of it so far) with one exception: It appears that once the HDUI is complete, there will always be some random TV program blaring away in the background during any activity other than playing back specific content.

This to me is perplexing and annoying. Since the main purpose of TiVo is to time-shift content, my logic is that I should be able to choose to never have to see live television if I so desire. So why isn't there at least an option to let me choose between, say, a conventional screensaver and live TV? :confused:

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    You can turn off the "View Window" temporarily with the slow button or "If you’d rather permanently turn off the Video Window, from TiVo Central, select ‘Messages & Settings,’ then ‘Settings,’ then ‘Displays,’ then ‘Video Window.’" (quote from the user guide)

3. BetaMark

BetaMark New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Van Nuys, CA
    Thanks, HomeUser. This is somewhat of an improvement, although I would prefer that TiVo not default to live TV EVER... not a window, full-screen or otherwise.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It has to default to something that's not static/unmoving so as to prevent screen burn and screaming customers.

5. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Everyone has their preference. I like the Live/Recording Video Window and wish it were larger and hopefully someday all menus will be available in HDUI and have the option of the Video Window.

So there is the logic. I would think most users coming from a Cable Co DVR to a TiVo are used to having the Video window and expect to have it.

6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    You'd think that Tivo, long ago, would have implemented a screensaver option so live TV wouldn't be the default if you didn't want it, but they didn't. ReplayTV did.

7. BetaMark

BetaMark New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Van Nuys, CA
    Actually in fact, the one feature of the Cable Co's pathetic DVR that I really appreciated was the ability to program which channel the machine defaulted to, which of course I set to be an out-of-service channel. Solved the problem nicely.

As for burning in the screen of my HDTV, I never give it the chance:

Home theater on = playback of content

Home theater off = completion of content playback... period.

Furthermore, it seems to me the live TV thing is a hold-over from bygone days. The world is moving to content consumption on its own time: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon On Demand, Apple TV, etc.

No, my friend, live TV is living on borrowed time... and I'll do what I can to put the final nail in its coffin. :D

8. BetaMark

BetaMark New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Van Nuys, CA
    Understood; ergo the last sentence of my OP:

"So why isn't there at least an option to let me choose between, say, a conventional screensaver and live TV?"

9. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You must not have kids.

10. BetaMark

BetaMark New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Van Nuys, CA
    Correct! :D