what's the latest with mydvr expander usability?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dubluv, Sep 23, 2008.

1. dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...

Advertisements

since the latest s/w update, i can't use the mydvr expander. has there been any news regarding the WD expander and the newest s/w version? i don't like looking at a $200 brick sitting next to my tivoHD.

2. jamiepaulson

jamiepaulson New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    I just bought a DVR Expander this past weekend to use with my TiVo HD, and it is working just fine. I checked the system information page and it showed the correct number of hours of recording space. Hopefully you figure out what is going on soon!

3. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I am one of those who was forced to divorce the My DVR Expander from its attached TiVoHD after the 9.4 update. Once divorced, the TiVoHD began working properly again.

Before going on a week's vacation, I decided to be bold and reattach the My DVR Expander. To be on the safe side, I scheduled redundant recordings on my Series 2 model (which is my bedroom TiVo) wherever I could.

I came back a couple of days ago, and so far every recording made since I left town has played back fine.

4. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    WD replaced mine and the new one has been running fine for over 3 weeks now. I did notice the new one has a different model number than the old one.

5. cdp1276

cdp1276 Member

Mar 24, 2003
    Portland, OR

Advertisements

Same here and been over a month for me. However an issue I still have is that when fast forwarding the picture goes black and I can't see the show. It keeps fast forwarding and I have to guess when to press play. Very annoying and doesn't happen on my other S3 that has a different external hard drive.

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I just had my expander replaced by WD as well. It had been running fine on 9.4 and then the drive died. The new one has been working fine.

7. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    My expander is working just fine, after the 9.4 update. I had a couple of weird things happen, but they were related to the fact that the expander wasn't on a UPS, while the TIVO was (I've since fixed this).

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    it seems for whatever reason 9.4 beats on external hard drives harder then previous versions.

So drives that might have been at the cusp get pushed over the edge with 9.4

No idea what they might have done to make the external drive work harder.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It could also be that particular channel is switching formats. I have noticed TNT-HD doing this a lot lately during commercials (switching to 720p during some of the commercials). If you run in native mode your TV probably doesn't switch to that format in time to see anything but black.