What's the deal with ch. 94?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by kanderna, Aug 15, 2007.

1. kanderna

kanderna New Member

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Guys, I know this is likely a flame-worthy question, but I've done my searching and couldn't come up with a great answer.

I've sort of been out of the HD (other than OTA) game for a while, and tonight I was looking around the "dial." I noticed I was getting a White Sox game in HD on ch. 94. I was mildly confused as to why I was getting it (I'm not a MLB or HD package subscriber), but didn't really give it much thought. Now I'm watching some sort of National Geographic programming in HD on 94. Now I'm slightly more curious to find out what this channel is all about.

Thanks!

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    It's a general purpose channel for those "extra" programs that have nowhere else to be shown.

I have seen SportSouth programming (Braves games), NFL HD games, NG as you mentioned and promos when there is nothing else on. They also use it for MLB Extra Innings games occasionally.

3. kanderna

kanderna New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks Tony - I guess another question I have is why I would get the channel without being an HD package subscriber?

4. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    because people like me and you who don't pay 10/month for HD deserve a break every once in a while :)

5. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006

Advertisements

news is right! Well, kinda.

I's not part of the HD package and, quite frankly, not worth paying for, but it IS a nice bonus :)

6. jaobrien6

jaobrien6 New Member

Oct 24, 2002
    It's one of those channels (like 95) where you get the HD signal if you get the normal programming. It's the same way they handle HBO HD, for example. If you get HBO, you get HBO HD, even without the HD package.

You actually won't get access to everything they show on 94 and 95, just the stuff you also get the SD version of. So, NFL Network games you'll get, because you get the NFL Network. But I've seen HD baseball games on 95 that must be part of a sports pack, and I didn't have access to those HD programs.

7. kanderna

kanderna New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Ah, of course. That would explain the White Sox game. Comcast is my regional sports channel (although I wish I had FSN). Thanks all!

8. itzme

itzme New Member

Dec 6, 2004
    using that logic, i should get ESPN HD monday night football on ch94 or 95. why? because i sub to sunday ticket and to superfan, but i don't sub to the hd package. but i doubt ill see those games in hdtv. :mad:

9. ScottP461

ScottP461 Member

Sep 3, 2005
    You don't get ESPN HD or ESPN2 HD on 94 or 95 because they are full time HD channels that are part of the HD package. Only non-full time HD channels (like regional FSN, for example) are assigned to 94 or 95 on an as needed basis.

10. jaobrien6

jaobrien6 New Member

Oct 24, 2002
    Correct. :up: