What's the big secret with making space by transfering recordings from Tivo to PC?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by DManzaluni, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Jun 9, 2020 #1 of 16
    DManzaluni

DManzaluni New Member

Oct 22, 2019
    Does anyone know what is going on with making space by transferring recordings which I want to keep from my Premiere onto my PC please?

It seems to be possible but Tivo Desktop insists that it cant see any recordings on my Tivo (in fact I'll bet it cant see the tivo itself!)

Searching online there are solutions dating back as far as May 2020 showing how to do this, mostly involving the need to patch something or other with a tivotogo patch, which is available nowhere? All attempts to download this patch result in mysterious ERROR 403 or 404 messages. And most online enquiries re-word my question as if I had asked how to transfer from a PC to a Tivo!

Did Tivo suddenly get involved in some copyright infringement litigation which they solved by spending millions preventing users from making space on their devices?

2. Jun 9, 2020 #2 of 16
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I don't know if anybody uses TiVo Desktop anymore. I don't think TiVo supports it anymore.

I use kmttg (Win/Mac/Linux) to transfer files from my Bolt and Roamio Plus to PCs. Others, perhaps more, use pyTiVo Desktop (Win/Mac).

The latter supports transfers from PC back to TiVos (TE3), as does the original pytivo (Win/Mac/Linux), which is what I use.

3. Jun 9, 2020 #3 of 16
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don’t know kmttgs numbers but a shocking number of people download pyTivo Desktop every day. I average between 20-50 unique IPs downloading it every day. I didn’t realize there were even that many TiVo users.

4. Jun 9, 2020 #4 of 16
    DManzaluni

DManzaluni New Member

Oct 22, 2019
    Thanks for that guys, I wonder why internet searches ONLY throw up TivoDesktop to do this if it wont actually do it any more!

I suppose unique IPs necessarily means it snot the same PBKaC who cant get it to work, constantly downloading pyTivo desktop over and over again? (unless it is me getting sent around in circles by google's lousy search function)

5. Jun 9, 2020 #5 of 16
    DManzaluni

DManzaluni New Member

Oct 22, 2019
    One minor point: I downloaded KMTTG and from the reviews it looks amazing. But how do I install it please? It doesnt seem to have any install exe, - does it install as some sort of plug in to some other program?

6. Jun 9, 2020 #6 of 16
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's a long story. Read all about it: "Now Playing List Not Available"

7. Jun 9, 2020 #7 of 16
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah I specifically filter by unique IPs because I seem to get a lot of people downloading the older versions as well as the newest. Not sure if it's because they’re having trouble or are confused by the links.

8. Jun 9, 2020 #8 of 16
    DManzaluni

DManzaluni New Member

Oct 22, 2019
    So it is something to do with expiring certificates and losing the space saving function took everybody by surprise? and no one knows why Tivo suddenly did this?

And I have to install some elderly version of Java Runtime to get KMTTG working?

9. Jun 9, 2020 #9 of 16
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    kmttg / Wiki / windows_installation
    Unfortunately, yes. Step 1 of the instructions describe how. (I'm assuming you're on Windows based on initial questions about TiVo Desktop).

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    TiVo Desktop does still work once you update the certificate and you might want to try pyTivo Desktop.

Scott

11. DManzaluni

DManzaluni New Member

Oct 22, 2019
    KMTTG certainly needs some help from somewhere! I loaded java and it now doesnt give the 'no tivo on the system' error message, but all boxes are empty and there doesnt seem to be any intuitive way of getting KMTTG to see the recordings on the tivo!

12. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Check the MAK address

13. DManzaluni

DManzaluni New Member

Oct 22, 2019
    The mystery deepend! i certainly haven't put i a MAC address for the tivo device and was never asked to. And i cant see anywhere to input it or get the app to search for one?

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    MAK = Media Access Key

Settings, Account & System Information, Media Access Key.

15. DManzaluni

DManzaluni New Member

Oct 22, 2019
    sorry about that, I thought (wrongly) I had said, I did put in the media access key: Then it went from not being able to see any tivo device to not seeing anything on the tivo which it no longer says it cannot see!

Is seeing the tivo supposed to be automatic, at turn on? Or are you supposed to do something to show the program where to look for the drive with the MAK on it, sorta like the first time you enter your wifi network into your computer settings?

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...