Whats the best move for me?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by stevemcl, Sep 5, 2007.

1. stevemcl

stevemcl I like you

Nov 22, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I've got 2 directv tivos, 1 40 hour about 5 years old and one 80 hour I bought off of ebay a little over 2 years ago. I've got my 40 hour hooked to my old school 55" toshiba sd big screen and the 80 hour on a sd 27" magnavox. I've got a 32" vizio HD hooked to a ps3 and a wii with rabbit ears and no direct tv.

Love the user interface of the tivo. Should I jump to the direct tv dvr and upgrade one set to another Hidef and lose tivo.

Should I switch to TW cable and pay nothing for a generic DVR?

I don't know if I can live without tivo. I can still get hi def on my old school $2.49 rabbit ears on the vizio.

Is it worth it to jump now? Should I wait until HD set drop in price more?

Should I go HD tivo and switch to TW cable?

Not really sure what to do.

2. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    HD Tivo puts cable co DVRs to shame. As long as there is nothing keeping you to DTV, end it and get a HD Tivo of some sort.

3. stevemcl

stevemcl I like you

Nov 22, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Heard some horror stories about time warner cable and HD tivos.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The choices would be essentially
    no HD. Status Quo I suppose. HD direct though.

no TiVo; with current DirecTV HD-DVR. (if you really want to keep DirecTV, I'd choose this option, unless TiVo is more important)

or no DirecTV, tolerating TW cable to use a TiVo HD..

5. snickerrrrs

snickerrrrs Tech-no Guide

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    Comcast has been threating a Tivo in Motorola dvr clothing for a while, so it should be close to ready (any company that uses the Motorola dvr should be able to take advantage of Tivo software once it's finished). The Dish/Tivo lawsuit is still pending, again Dish and Tivo should work out something soon.

OOPs and Directv and Tivo look like they're friends again, so new software comes in January, who knows what will come afterwards.

6. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    I was once afraid of a Tivo/cable company box agreement, but I have a new approach when considering/thinking of electronics.

If you want it/can afford it/think it will be a great fit for you, get it. If you have reservations about the device's ability/compatability, do some research and see if it works, then try it out. Once you get it, enjoy it, don't think/worry about products that may do the job better/cheaper/newer, just enjoy what you got. If you think about it more than that, every price drop/upgrade/new release will just upset you, so only look for something new if you are unhappy with what you have or need to replace something. If not, you could literally live at an electronics store and worry all day and still get nowhere.

I bought a S3 because I felt it was more reliable. I have Comcast, and if the Comtivo came out tomorrow, though I am still in the 30 day return period, I would not bring it back. I am glad I made the decision to get it and absolutely love it!

7. bnorris

bnorris New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    We've used basic DirecTivo for years and loved it - first a Philips DSR 6000 and then when that died a Philips DSR 7000. A while back the latter died too. So, I called up DirecTv and they told me, no problem, they'd ship me a new DVR and since I owned my old box the new one would be free. I was pleasantly surprised, and while I think the lady mentioned that it would be a DTV DVR, it didn't quite click that that meant no more Tivo.

Well, we've had the DTV DVR for just over a month and just HATE the DVR service. It doesn't do season passes properly (frequently just records all episodes despite the fact that I told it not to), the menus are much less intuitive than Tivo's and just don't work as smoothly, the DVR has hung at least twice so far and the recording programs were deleted (not just interrupted or stopped).

I'm considering some options:

* Ask DirecTv if they will replace the DTV box / service with DirecTivo like I had before. It seems unlikely that they will do this.

* Ask DirecTv if I can buy my own DirecTivo box and have my Tivo service restored. I'm not sure if I want to do that because I'd have to get an older box to continue recording 2 shows at once, and I like what I hear about the newer Tivo boxes. I don't care about HD, but multi-room viewing and programming Tivo via the internet sound great.

* Just switch over to Time Warner where I can use a new Tivo box and record 2 shows at once (I heard their DVR service is bad too). I'm hesitant to make this change as we've been happy with DirecTv until now, and I don't know how good Time Warner will be.

Any feedback from other folks who have made these transitions would be much appreciated.

8. Scott40

Scott40 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I think Dkerr told you how to get another tivo in your other thread you opened.