What's Next for Rovi & TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by keenanSR, May 3, 2016.

1. May 3, 2016 #1 of 14
    keenanSR

keenanSR Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA

Advertisements

From Light Reading - Networking the Communications Industry,

What's Next for Rovi & TiVo?

2. May 3, 2016 #2 of 14
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Things goto hell for TiVo I'm afraid

3. May 5, 2016 #3 of 14
    ss-stingray

ss-stingray Sony DHG refugee

Aug 24, 2013
    Port...
    Great Rovi will pay 1.1 billion to piss us off ! The only question is how long it will take for things to go down hill...........

4. May 5, 2016 #4 of 14
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Ya old TiVo or new TiVo I still think the same thing. If they think they can make money via retail hardware they will continue to make it, if they don't they will stop. Not much we can do one way or the other.

5. May 6, 2016 #5 of 14
    Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...

Advertisements

Tivo isn't a hardware company, it is a software company. They only ever built hardware because no one else would put Tivo software on their hardware. The merger with Rovi gives them access to a lot of the players Tivo has struggled with and the negotiating experience to know how to push their hot buttons. Tivo brings to Rovi a way to put their products and services in front of users with a UI they can control. They two CEOs have said this isn't about acquiring more IP, and that is at least mostly true. It is about making their IP portfolio more complete, and thereby making the licensing more productive.

6. May 6, 2016 #6 of 14
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Ahem.

Both directv and Comcast tried to put TiVo software on their hardware. Both took so long they missed the market and wound up with TiVo software that was at least a generation behind.

TiVo has shown no ability to port their software quickly and reliably to anyone else's hardware is more the correct take.

TiVo is supplying hardware to every one of the cable systems that "sell" tivos and, with the exception of a handful of directv tivos, every bit of American TiVo software runs on TiVo hardware.

TiVo is a hardware company that thinks it is a software company. They have a long way to go to be one.

7. May 6, 2016 #7 of 14
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    TiVo SW has been deployed on Pace hardware for a few years now, Mediacom uses Pace hardware.

8. May 6, 2016 #8 of 14
    SullyND

SullyND L: 31-14 (10-2) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    And TiVos overseas are all software on others hardware.

DirecTV got what was agreed to. The ComcasTiVo was the result of crappy middleware and is ancient history at this point.

9. May 7, 2016 #9 of 14
    jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston

Most of those missteps were the reasons they moved the whole Tivo platform to HTML5. Since then, they have shown the tivo software running on a number of platforms and sell it running on Pace equipment to some MSOs. The current BOLT is an outsourced design and manufacture. Could just as easily been built by Cisco or Pace. It shares very little with the prior hardware platforms.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    And crappy hardware. They used underpowered hardware to run what was essentially a Java VM and it ran like sh*t!

Thursday night I was bowling and they had a hockey game on the TV. During one of the commercial breaks I saw a commercial for the DirecTiVo. It was a new commercial too because it specifically said AT&T at the end. It's weird to see them just now advertising a box that has existd for 5+ years and hasn't had a software update in almost as long. I thought they'd pretty much given up on TiVo and only still offered it to the faithful.

11. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I assume they are contractually bound to do some minimum amount of marketing for it.

12. ss-stingray

ss-stingray Sony DHG refugee

Aug 24, 2013
    Port...
    It's hard for me to not be pessimistic since I had $1200.00 invested in 2 Sony DHG's that Rovi killed for me. I do have to wait and see what will happen but when one goes thru this once it's not hard to see the writings on the wall. Only Rovi knows what they plan. I even tried calling Rovi to express my feelings but they refused to even talk .

13. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    They've been advertising it all along. Just not a lot. That was probably part of the deal to develop it.

14. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    DirecTV has contractual obligations imposed by TiVo as to advertising and marketing the DirecTiVo product. Part of the dark side of teaming with TiVo: The MVPD gets to pay for just about EVERYTHING including explicit requirement to market and advertise the product. Even Ol' Tom Rogers pointed that out at a conference call regarding the product. This is why so many MVPD's were loath to partner with TiVo on a product for their MVPD service: it was too expensive with tedious contractual obligations mandating, among other things, how much money the MVPD was to spend for marketing and advertising the product.

Also, let's not forget the only reason DirecTV agreed to partner with TiVo (again) on the HD unit was that TiVo agreed, in the contract, NOT to sue DirecTV for patent infringement. Yes, DirecTV got "the product they agreed to," which was an old S3 platform known as the THR22 while the S4 Premieres were already available for quite some time. Does anyone else recall the quarterly conference years ago when Mike White continually put-down the THR22 compared to his Genie? It was a HOOT!

Last edited: May 10, 2016