What's my motivation?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by adamwsh, Sep 28, 2011.

1. adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    I have 3 Tivos currently:

1 Series 2 w/Lifetime with upgraded 500MB hard drive
    1 Series 2 @ $6.95/mo
    1 TivoHD @ $9.95/mo with upgraded 1TB hard drive

The $6.95/mo Series 2 is starting to act funny. This is my first Tivo that I bought 9 years ago. It currently doesn't get much use, but still is set to run and record as normal. However, occasionally when we turn on the TV, this Tivo is frozen on the KidZone screen saver. It must be unplugged to reset it then it's fine for awhile. The hard drive doesn't seem to be acting funny while watching. The only trouble is the freezing.

So, I thought, ok, I'll look to buy a Premiere to replace it. Well, that would cost me $99 for the unit (which isn't too shabby), but then I'd have to pay either $14.95/mo for service (up from my current $6.95) or pay $399 for lifetime (which at $6.95/mo would take almost 5 years to pay for itself).

So, what is my motivation for replacing the strange-acting Series 2 with a premiere when I could probably replace the drive for $50 and get another 5 years out of it, or more??

I welcome thoughts on this.

Thanks!

2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    masochism and/or a desire to inflict suffering upon yourself for no reason.

If you don't need it, don't buy it, and avoid the problems associated with it.

There are a few advantages:
    1) Half of an HDUI
    2) Half of a dual-core CPU
    3) iPad app that "mostly works"
    4) Better transfer speed for MRV and/or PC transfers

For me, #4 was the reason to upgrade. I wouldn't give them a dime for #1-#3.

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Keep in mind the price of a new unit will not be $6.95 per month. I would tell you the price but I need a team of accountants and Obama's chief economist to figure it out.

4. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    The Premiere is not shovel-ready!

5. adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    I know what it will be, as I mentioned in my OP, $14.95/mo. That's part of my gripe about "upgrading" to Premiere.

6. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    It may not hurt to give TiVo a call. I bought a used S3 about a year ago from AMAZON, but instead of activating it online I made a call and the CSR offer me LT @ $99.

7. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern...
    [​IMG]

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    From my point of view the only thing that really matters is what are you watching TV on and is the content you record available in HD.

If you are still using your TiVos on a SD TV or the content you record is only available in SD - I see no reason to upgrade.

If you have a nice HD TV and the Content is available in HD I see no reason not to upgrade and I wouldn't worry that much about the price (assumes you can afford it) upgrading to all HD is worth it.

If you have an HD TV and the programing is available in HD I would buy a Premiere and get lifetime on it. That will cost you $500 or less depending on where you buy the Premiere. At the same time you put lifetime on the Premiere request the $99 lifetime offer for the TiVo HD. There you are for $600 you now have 2 excellent HD DVRs with no more monthly fees. I would then sell the Series 2 units for whatever you can get for them on Craig's list.

Good Luck,

9. adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    The TV with the $6.95/month Series 2 I'm considering replacing/repairing is on an SD TV. However, it may not stay that way forever. But I have no immediate plans to upgrade to HDTV in that room.

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    LOL ! :up: That's a good one! Pricing either needs to be simplified or TiVo should provide a table -- which even they probably couldn't figure out anyway.
    Are you sure ? Is this what your team of accountants determined? ;)

11. pileosnafu

pileosnafu New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    I've worked for Sprint for over 3 years, and I cannot figure out some of our older plans, some of the pains a company can get it having too many plans while it "grows"