What's involved in hooking an S2 TiVo to Uverse?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by timckelley, Mar 19, 2011.

1. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...

Advertisements

This question comes up because my wife spends a lot of time over at her mother's house, so one of her lifetimed S2 TiVos is over there, hooked up to her Time Warner cable. (I put in a coax splitter, with one going to the TV, and the other going through the S2 TiVo, and then to the TV, because her mother prefers live TV, and doesn't want to use the TiVo remote control to do it.)

Now, her mother is considering switching to Uverse to save money, and I'm wondering how doable it will be to keep my wife's TiVo hooked up.

I'm thinking if AT&T uverse automatically includes an AT&T DVR, maybe it won't matter; she can just use that DVR instead of her TiVo, and problem solved. But if AT&T charges an extra monthly fee to have one of their DVRs, I won't be surprised at all if my MIL will pass on that DVR, and if she does, my wife will be interested in getting her TiVo hooked up to uverse.

I assume if no uverse DVR is involved, wouldn't there need to be some kind of converter box that accepts a phone signal or an ethernet signal from the wall, and tunes to a channel and outputs in a form that a TV could accept (like RCA cables or component cables, or maybe HDMI)? I should mention that the TV there is an HD TV, but most her content through Time Warner is SD because my MIL currently subscribes to analog cable, not digital.

Anyway, I worry that even if could split the RCA cables that I am guessing (wild guess on my part) come out of AT&T's converter box (which I'm speculating must exist, because how else to you get an ethernet port to connect to a TV), that if this converter box can only tune to one channel at a time, how could an S2 TiVo work? I wonder if she'd need 2 converter boxes, one for the live TV, and the other for the TiVo, and maybe the TiVo would have to have the ability to send IR signals to control the converter box? Maybe that would up the price, and she might as well get the uverse DVR.

Or am I completely off base and don't understand how uverse works?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
  3. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    I saw that thread, but doesn't answer all my questions, like would a splitter work for letting her using live TV? I worry not, if the converter can only tune to one channel at a time. I assume the TiVo would have to send commands to the converter; maybe that's done thru guided setup?

4. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    According to that thread it's IPTV. You want to split that and send it to a TV? Doesn't seem likely unless the TV specifically features a compatible tuner.

You might look at satellite options. You can get a dual tuner DVR and programming from Dish (including HD) for $40/month. DirecTV probably has similar offers. They look a heck of a lot better than analog cable!

5. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

My parents have Uverse and I helped them set it up. It could be a bit differnet now.

With Uverse, each TV must have a box. You cannot split the signal. They basically install a router at your house and all their boxes connect from the router to your TVs. One main TV will have the whole-home DVR which should be able to record 2 HD stations and 2 more SD stations at once. Any of the shows on there can be watched on any TV hooked up with a Uverse box.

You CAN hook up a Series 1 or 2 TiVo to a standalone Uverse box (I wouldn't hook it to the DVR box) and it will basically work like hooking up the TiVo to a cable box. It will change the channel of the Uverse box and record its output. Dual tuners though would only be able to work as a single-tuner. HD/Premiere boxes with cable cards will not work at all.