What's going on with HIMYM? And while I'm at it, an office question. (Spoilers.)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by YCantAngieRead, Jan 24, 2012.

1. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Is it just me, or have there been, like zero (okay, one) new episode in the last three months? What's going on there?

And The Office...what's the deal with Jim and Pam's baby? Did they not ever talk about the birth?

2. scsiguy72

scsiguy72 OTA Only..Free TV

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    I was wondering the same thing about HIMYM

Last night they jumped around in the timeline a little, when they showed Barney gambling at a roulette wheel (or was it a craps table?) and Future Ted said "I'm getting ahead of myself" Barney was wearing the Ducky tie.

I know it was a rerun, but that seemed to make the timeline off.

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    I thought they said she was on maternity leave and that was about it...not much fanfare overall for the newest baby.

4. lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    They've aired two eps in Dec and two in Jan every year for a while now. This year, just one in December (12/5) because of the two episodes on premiere night. Then 1/2 and 1/16, then Sweeps start on 2/6.

5. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    2 new episodes this month alone. 7 or 8 in the last three months (depending if you count 24 October).

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
  7. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    That's odd, given the fanfare for the last.

8. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    with Jim&Pam's baby, my guess is that with the first baby, Jenna wasn't really pregnant, so they could shoot anytime with her. But this time, she really was pregnant and probably is on a real maternity leave. It might be awkward to have a big birth or announcement episode without Jenna there.

9. TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    Plus, even in real life, the 2nd baby isn't as big of a deal. My brother and his wife just had their 2nd child last month. They posted some Facebook pictures, but it's not like the first one where you have the shower and everything. I imagine Angela's baby will get some airtime, but still not the level that Jim & Pam's first one got.

10. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Yep, they're being very realistic. No one cares about the second kid, and the third is even worse. :D

I'm 8m pregnant with my 3rd but my first two are in school so I'm out and about without them a lot. I get a lot of excited "ooh, is this your first?!" from random people (cashiers, whatnot) and I swear their faces fall when I say it's my third.

Personally I view this as a good thing, I have no interest in discussing my pregnancy with random people at Kroger.

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    This seems like a good place for me to post the obligatory explanation about Nielsen Sweeps periods. Except I don't have time right now. So I'll come back and edit this post later tonight. But long story short - you'll always get new episodes for the first several weeks after the season starts, in November, in February, and in May. Outside of those four periods, new episodes are always going to be hit and miss. Typical shows produce 22 episodes in a season, and there are 39 weeks between the start of the season and the end of May sweeps, so there will be 17 weeks during the season without a new episode. Most of those will be in Dec., Jan., Mar. and Apr.

12. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Yeah, it's just weird, though-HIMYM seems to be off of what they even do on the same network.

13. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    I long for the television seasons of my youth <sigh.>

14. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    There was a new one last week. Lilly and Marshall moving to long Island, Dad showing up....

15. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm not sure what you're talking about here. As far as I can remember over the past couple months, HIMYM has been new on the same nights as 2BG and 2.5 Men. I can't remember a week where any of them were new without all of them being new. (I don't watch Mike & Molly, so I can't say whether that one has followed suit.)

Edit:
    According to TV.com, the last four new episodes of HIMYM were:
    Ep 14 - 1/16/12
    Ep 13 - 1/2/12
    Ep 12 - 12/5/11
    Ep 11 - 11/21/11

For 2 Broke Girls, the last five new episodes have been:
    Ep 14 - 1/16/12
    Ep 13 - 1/2/12
    Ep 12 - 12/12/11
    Ep 11 - 12/5/11
    Ep 10 - 11/21/11

For Two and a Half Men, the last five new episodes have been:
    Ep 14 - 1/16/12
    Ep 13 - 1/2/12
    Ep 12 - 12/12/11
    Ep 11 - 12/5/11
    Ep 10 - 11/21/11

So on December 12, 2011 HIMYM wasn't new while the others were, but that's it. HIMYM aired two new episodes on its season premiere night, so it was one episode ahead all season and it needed an off week to let the others catch up. I'm not sure why this thread is popping up now.

16. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    I'm talking about weeks where Big Bang Theory is new, mostly. Most other networks do new episodes all the same week.

Or at least, I thought they did. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going nuts.

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    While I realize the "necessary" weeks (sweeps) are pretty much set in stone, I actually wish different shows would sprinkle the new episodes in on different weeks.. then there would be new stuff more consistently.

18. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I hate Robin's hair this season. That is all.

19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Two things:

1. Every night in TV is different and networks make programming decisions on a night by night basis, not on a week by week basis. Often, the decision about which weeks to air new episodes (during the non-sweeps months) is a cat-and-mouse game with the other networks to try and pit your new stuff against other networks' reruns, and vice versa.

2. Because each month of sweeps starts on a Thursday and ends on a Wednesday four weeks later, when BBT is new on a Thursday, you should look at the following Monday for HIMYM rather than the previous Monday.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Has this always been this way? For some reason, I don't remember this stop and start in the TV season when I was younger (like in the 60s-80s). Seasons seemed congruous with a break only for the Christmas season. But I don't remember so many reruns being run within the middle of the season like now, except perhaps in the last 10 - 15 years. Perhaps in those days there were more "specials" or movies than here are now.