What's going on with Cox Cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by murraymh, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Feb 8, 2011 #1 of 49
    murraymh

murraymh New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm in San Diego and I'm hooked up with Cox Cable.

I recently noticed that they now have some new HD channels (Discovery Kids, Cooking Channel & DIY - channels 1101, 1362, 1363). Now, I receive all these channels as part of the package I pay for, & in fact I do get them in SD, but NOT in HD.

After talking to multiple people at Cox & researching online, I understand that these channels (as well as a host of other premium ones like HBO Comedy, Starz Cinema, etc - I counted 22 of them) can ONLY be accessed with their new DVR & STB...I think that's how it is. In any case you do have to have their equipment to get these stations in HD.

Now, I'm thinking WTF! If I'm paying for it, why can I only get a channel in SD when it's available in HD? I mean if this continues then you will be forced to rent the cable co. equipment if you want to watch something in HD.

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the cablecard? I thought the point of cablecard technology was to stop the cable cos. from "forcing" you to rent their equipment.

Anyone know what the hell is going on?

2. Feb 8, 2011 #2 of 49
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    All of the new Plus Package HD channels are in the frequency spectrum between 860MHz to 1GHz. Contact TiVo to find out the status of support for those frequencies.

Have you contacted TiVo to see if the TiVo HD and/or the TiVo Premiere software "Officially" supports frequencies over 860MHz and up to 1GHz?

I was told in an email from Cox Corp in Atlanta that Cox and TiVo were working together on both the Cox VOD integration and the ability for the TiVo to receive the Plus Package Channels. No time-frame was given but they said hopefully later this year.

http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residential/datasheet/sandiego/channellineup_sd.pdf
    Channels available with subscription to Cox Plus Pak, San Diego an Additional $5.00/mo
    1101 Discovery Kids (The Hub)
    1202 HBO Signature
    1203 HBO Family
    1204 HBO Latino
    1205 HBO East
    1206 HBO2 East
    1222 Action Max
    1224 Cinemax East
    1226 More Max East
    1239 Showtime East
    1242 Showtime Showcase
    1245 TMC East
    1263 Starz Comedy
    1264 Starz Kids & Family
    1265 Starz East
    1315 Outdoor
    1362 Cooking Channel
    1363 DIY

Cox SD will also be implementing Switched Digital Video (SDV) in the near future, the process has just begun. But eventually you will also need a Cisco SDV Tuning Adapter.

3. Feb 8, 2011 #3 of 49
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Pretty sure the Premiere tuner supports up to 1GHz. But it could well be that Cox SD is not making those channels available in the CableCard channel map (which is different than the channel map their own set top boxes use). It also could be that those channels are using SDV in which case a tuning adapter would be required. Cox Orange County to the north of you is my market and I'm pretty sure the Plus channels in 860MHz-1GHz range are SDV (along with a bunch of other SDV channels that have been in place for a while now).

4. Feb 8, 2011 #4 of 49
    CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Have you contacted Cox or TiVo to see what they say regarding Plus Pak channels on the TiVo?

5. Feb 8, 2011 #5 of 49
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    No. I don't care about any of the channels under Plus and obviously not interested in their multi-room DVR either, but a few people in Cox OC just reported recently availability of Plus Pak + multi-room DVR (using Cox equipment):
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19958433#post19958433
    (In fact Bryan_CoxPHX on AVS may be you?)

6. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Yes, I have asked Cox. I had to explain to one gentleman what SDV was and his only solution was to roll a tech out. Of course, if it wasn't a problem with their side, I'd get a $70 bill (Cox in SD charges this amount to roll a truck for any reason, including cablecard installs! :mad:). Another woman stated that there is an issue with tuning adapters tuning channels > 1000 and that the problem will be resolved next week. The last person I spoke with told me it required the multi-room DVR. He didn't know if it was a hardware limitation or whether it was a package to push the new multi-room DVR package.

Sadly, getting any useful consistent information is out of the reach of the average Cox customer.

Googling found this thread, so the next step is asking Tivo about the new frequency range and their equipment.

7. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  8. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Thank you.

I contacted Tivo and they responded with this:

I'll attempt a resolution using the contacts you provided. Hopefully it isn't a conscious decision to push the multi-room DVR package. Thanks much! :up:

9. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    So far no one has been able to get the "Plus Package" HD channels on any 1GHz capable tuner, other than the new Ciscos, Cox has some Motorola units that are also 1GHz capable.

At this point it is a marketing strategy to get people into the Cisco Whole Home DVR Package. Someone posted that currently, Cox's billing system will only allow the "Plus Package" HD channels to be coded to the new Cisco units.

Hopefully enough customer feedback will change the current policy.

10. murraymh

murraymh New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    This is what's pissing me off. I am paying to receive some of these "Plus Package" HD channels, but I can't get them...and no one can tell me why.

I'm considering calling customer service and demand a refund or fee reduction.

11. Torgo

Torgo Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Odd wording. Tivo makes the box, they should answer one of two ways
    - Yes, our hardware supports that frequency
    - No, our hardware doesn't support that frequency

"I'm quite confident" says he/she is not 100% sure..odd

12. rymeister

rymeister New Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I contacted Cox about this yesterday, after I installed the Cisco SDV tuning adapter for my TiVo HD and still could not get the channels.

It took the rep forever to get an answer to my question, but she finally came back and said those channels are only for Trio users. It didn't sound like they were even considering giving the rest of us access to them at all.

Pretty crappy.

13. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    That doesn't sound right. Why limit channels only to one type of package / receiver.

Cooking HD is channel 822 on COX RI, I just got hooked up to it about a week and a half ago.

Cooking HD reports "Channel not available. Contact your cable provider for more information."
    DIYHD also results in the same.

They appear to be the only two channels I don't get, discovery kids and the others as far as I can tell, are not in this area yet that's not a premium channel. All those HBO's and Starz and what not are in the 500's here and come up with the not authorized since I don't subscribe to them.

As a side not, I have been informed that COX in this area will be adding all the music choice channels in HD in the next couple weeks. Wonder what this move is all about. Only channel 900, SWRV will be the real band width hog, aren't the rest of them just graphics that are sent that the box displays a UI for? At least I hope or that's a huge waist of bandwidth. Wonder how this move is going to work with my TiVo?

14. murraymh

murraymh New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    This is exactly the problem I was referring to in my initial post on this matter.
    Cox has now arbitrarily decided that new HD channels will ONLY be available when you rent their equipment? If true this portends a dark future for us Tivo folk.
    I thought the point of cable cards were to prevent this sort of monopolistic behavior; that we not be forced to rent the cable cos. equipment. Now it seems that we may have to if we want certain HD channels. Is this legal?
    Like I asked before what the hell is going on here?

15. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I don't see how they're not violating FCC regs if they're only allowing "box" people to get certain channels, while "card" people are left out in the cold.

16. Ennui

Ennui San Diego

Sep 2, 2008
    In SD, I talked to a supervisor about this "linking". He suggested it was a marketing decision. He said it was possible, if enough people requested it, to "de-couple" the channels. I told him I don't mind paying for them if that is required.

Do you have a reference to the relevant FCC reg?

17. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Let's add TRUTVHD to the list

COX just added this channel and I can't tune it with my premiere either=\

18. murraymh

murraymh New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Same here!
    I'm afraid this is just the beginning too. More channels will be added that can only be received with Cox equipment, and we cablecard folk can just go piss off.

Another thing that gets me is no one at Cox can tell me what's really going on - it's a marketing thing, a technical thing...one person told me a couple of weeks ago to just wait a little bit you'll get those channels soon. And there's no word from Tivo about this either.

I think we should put some pressure on Cox & Tivo too, to explain to us what is happening & why we can't get stations that we pay for.

19. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

Yeah, we should definitely put pressure on cox and tivo to work this out.

As to why this is happening, this is an answer we got from a cox rep on AVS Forums

The not 100% accurate part was in reply to someone else who said the Whole Home DVR was the only 1GHz receiver cox offers. Cox does have the newer Motrola DVR's in some markets, and they can not receive these channels either so that stands to prove it's not a hardware issue, but a marketing issue like this rep pointed out.

It looks like to get these channels you must have the Cisco 8642 + another box!

I wonder if you had those on your account if the channel would come through, or the mapping is hard coded into the Cisco 8642

20. evilipoo

evilipoo Trust no 1

Apr 23, 2005
    So Cal
    I am finding that dealing with Cox (in San Diego, anyway) is all about smoke and mirrors and how much they can get away with and keep charging you big $$$.

We decided to cut back services to the bone after realizing that our monthly Cox bill increased 4 times and $30 a month in 2010. Went from the digital TV package with all kinds of channels to the "Starter pak" with 11. Next bill had a $5 monthly charge for "Advanced TV" in addition to the $2 cablecard rental fee. When I contacted Cox, they informed me that if I rent a cablecard from them, and I want those channels in HD, I must subscribe to "Advanced TV" in order to receive them. I talked to 5 different people (none of which had apparently watched Cox's commercials where they insist that their HD is "FREE") and got the same run around.

I was also informed that Cox no longer issues cablecards. I'm not sure how that is even legal, but I don't think that is even an issue to them anymore.

All of this tells me that they are not interested in keeping my business. I bought an OTA antenna and an Ooma and am about to tell them to pound sand. If I did not have Tivo, I would be going with Dish or Direct Tv, but as it is, I can get 90% of what I want with Amazon VOD (and for less $).