What's better? Sell a S1 with lifetime OR do the transfer offer to a S2 and sell that

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by creativepart, Jul 12, 2007.

1. creativepart

creativepart New Member

May 7, 2007

Advertisements

I have a completely unused S1 with Lifetime Service. It was in our Lakehouse and had a problem and stopped working so we sent it back under waranty and they replaced it. But, we never installed it. So it sits in its box for the past 5 years.

I've done the Lifetime Transfer offer for our other two S1s and I'm trying to decide what's the best way to proceed on this unused S1.

1. Sell it on Ebay ASAP so that the buyer can do the transfer offer himself?
    OR
    2. Spring for the transfer offer myself and then sell the unused S2/Lifetime on Ebay for more than $299?

I can't decide which way is better to recoup my money. Seems like I should be able to get $150 or more for the S1 with lifetime. But if I do the transfer offer... after spending $299 for the transfer could I get $450 ($299 + $150) for a brand new S2 with Lifetime service?

Any opinions on this dilemma would be appreciated.

2. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I would list it on ebay with the stipulation you are selling just the lifetime TSN. That way you don't have to actually ship the unit. (People were doing just that last year, IRRC.)

The buyer would then have the choice to transfer it to a S2 or S3...

Not sure what somebody would be willing to pay... If you do, post the auction #. Could be interesting to follow.

3. VanGoghLikesTivo

VanGoghLikesTivo New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    There have not been many S2 DT Lifetime units sold on eBay. It is possible you could get $550-$600 on eBay for the S2 Dual-Tuner with Lifetime. If you did, then you might make money doing the transfer yourself. However, I have seen such units listed at $600 that did not sell on eBay.

You could net almost as much with less risk by simply selling the S1, since you will save on Paypal & eBay fees by selling at the lower price. I think you could get somewhere between $150 and $200 for the S1. (If it was a grandfathered unit that had the free transfer, it would be worth a lot more).

You should test the S1 to make sure it still works.

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    How much did you pay for your S1 lifetime subscription?

5. creativepart

creativepart New Member

May 7, 2007

Advertisements

$199

I started the Tivo service in Dec, 2000 but didn't buy the lifetime until May, 2001.