what's best solution for watching out of home content

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by marklyn, Jan 24, 2016.

1. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin

Advertisements

I'm going on a 6 week vacation fairly soon and I'd like to be able to watch any content recorded on my Roamio. The Tivo phone app doesn't let me watch most content but some. I'm looking for a solution that lets me watch anything I've already recorded on my Roamio.
    I've done some basic research and eliminated Tivo Desktop since it looks like I'd need to download my content to a laptop before I leave for my trip.
    I'm now investigating slingbox but not sure how it works or if it will work for me. Since I'm new to this concept I'd appreciate knowing what I need on the front end (at home) and when I'm away to accomplish this.

2. BRiT wtfdotcom

BRiT wtfdotcom Active Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Setup a VPN into your home network.

3. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Is there some instructions on how to do this as it relates to watching my recorded Tivo content out of my home?
    Thanks

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Setting up a VPN is fairly complicated. The easiest solution would be to just get a Slingbox. If you have a 6-tuner Roamio Plus/Pro then you can get HD resolution out of it, but if all you have is a 4-tuner Roamio, then you'll be limited to SD unless you also have a TiVo Mini connected to it, because the 4-tuner Roamio lacks a component output.

5. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin

Advertisements

I have a Roamio Plus with 3 mini's. Can I hook the slingbox up to one of the mini's composite output? Also, what do I use out of the home to watch on a newer TV that has HDMI or USB? Would I use something like a ROKU or Chromcast. That part I'm not understanding.
    Also, if I connect to one of my mini's, how do I change channels or start a recording, etc.?

6. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    I have a VPN setup (via ASUS router) I haven't been able to get out of home streaming to work.

I just get an error that says the app (iOS) can't find a streaming device)

7. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    The simplest thing would be to get a Fire TV or Fire TV Stick and run the Tivo app.

If you get a a Slingbox, you can run a Sling app on Roku. Slingbox controls your host device (Roamio or Mini) via IR. I would use the component output from the Mini, not composite. Both require an optional cable.

Realize also, that with your cable TV subscription you can stream many programs from each individual network. So load the appropriate apps on your Roku and see if that's sufficient.

8. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    The Fire Stick has a TiVo app? I don't remember seeing one last time I used mine, many months ago. Maybe I'll try it again.

Personally, when travelling, I just settle for watching recordings that were made before I left, transferring them to my laptop or tablet* via kmttg. Of course, I can't watch anything recorded while I'm gone until I get back. Big time shift.

A hacked HP Touchpad running Android 4.4.4, which, last time I checked, I still can't stream to because the TiVo app complains it is an unauthorized device.

9. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
  10. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    :up:

I was just about to edit my post saying, "Wow, it does! I found it." I just searched on amazon.com fire stick apps and there is a TiVo for Amazon Fire TV (Beta) that was released in October. I am going to try it out - my Roamio Plus has a stream.

[edit] That was easy. I installed it, entered my login info, set up out-of-home streaming, and it appears to work. Of course, the Fire Stick I'm streaming to is plugged into my AVR which is just a foot above my Roamio. Haven't had a chance to test out of home streaming yet, just in home, but the app works so far.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  11. boilerjt

boilerjt New Member

May 20, 2014
  12. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    What I've been using, since I don't have a Stream, is Plex. There is a Tivo To Go channel that you can install, and it lets you access your content on the TiVo as well as copy it off the TiVo to your Plex library. Requires Plex Server, of course, but it is free. Less simple than the native TiVo streaming, but I've used it successfully.

13. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Yes... I bought an extra TiVo Mini last week specifically to hook it up to a Slingbox...

I find the user experience on the Slingbox superior to TiVo Stream... The only thing that bugs me is the 3-5 second latency on remote control commands... But once you get streaming going, the quality is pretty darn good...

14. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I got excited when I saw that plex was an option but, after a bit of research, it doesn't appear that the plex server that runs on my QNAP NAS box accomodates the tivo to go channel. I'm trying to confirm that but my first searches indicate that you need the Plex server software that you'd download and install to a Windows/Linux machine... still checking but if anyone knows different, please let me know.

15. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Can someone let me know how this work(ed)? I'm interested in an easy solution but I'm not clear on how the fire tv stick works. I assume there is one piece that connects to the Roamio or mini and then the fire tv stick plugs into your TV (out of home)?? I'd appreciate any details like whether or not the TV needs to be a smart TV or just needs a HDMI port.

Thanks

16. boilerjt

boilerjt New Member

May 20, 2014
    Just got it working.
    1. Install Tivo App on Fire TV Stick
    2. Enter username/password for Tivo account
    3. It lists your Tivo devices. Choose one.
    4. It detects the Tivo streaming device. Select Out of Home streaming.

I haven't tested it out of home yet. In home streaming works really well. The Fire TV Stick connects to an HDMI port of your TV and connects to your wireless network. No smart TV needed.

17. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    The stick is all you need. Your Pro already serves up the content. The TV needs an HDMI port for the stick.

Sling interface is the actual TiVo interface. Fire app interface is different and more limited.

18. boilerjt

boilerjt New Member

May 20, 2014
    If you do get a Fire TV Stick, my favorite app is called Kodi (formerly XBox Media Center). This app is not available from Amazon and you'll have to load it differently (google it for instructions). With this, you can stream a lot of free stuff from the internet and stream video from you local network.

19. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    You may even be able to watch "semi"-live tv by starting a recording on you TiVo via TiVo.com or your phone or tablet. Once you start the recording it should be available on the Firestick app.

I'm a little leery of depending on this working in a hotel because you are at the mercy of getting a reasonable wifi speed.

20. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I can attest that Kodi works and you can watch about anything, movies out on DVD and including surprisingly good camera recordings of theatrical releases. I feel too guilty to use it for that though. I do use it to watch content that my cable operator doesn't supply as well as content that you just can't find even on premium channels I subscribe to.