What Would YOU Do?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Daghain, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Daghain

Daghain Cable must die

Feb 12, 2009
    Fort...
    I just moved to an apartment that cannot get any OTA HD via antenna (unless I move, AGAIN, and get on the top floor. Not happenin') I currently have a TiVo Series 3, which, of course, has issues with craptacular analog cable (but they gave me a six month freebie, so there you go).

I'm at the end of "free" cable, so I'm thinking about using HuluPlus (got a free 30 day trial - woohoo!) with my Netflix on my Toshiba 40" HDTV to get my TV (News is for dah Internetz, yanno. Why else do you want TV????)

I think I should pick up the $99.00 Premier so I can watch HuluPlus and Netflix. I can also hook my MacBook Pro up to the TV, but really, it's probably easier to upgrade the TiVo.

So, my question is, how do those of you who got the $99 Premier like it? It's this or I'm going the $300 XBox Kinex route, I think.

Also, anyone want to buy my Series 3 if I do do this? Offers welcome. :D

2. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I'm no expert but the $99 Premier will cost you $20 a month for at least one year ... and without even an OTA hook up .. ??

3. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    It might be cheaper to get an xbox 360 or PS3

4. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    If the only use will be for streaming content, it'll be even cheaper to get a Roku. No service fees, and besides Hulu+ and Netflix, you'll have access to VOD from Amazon, free movies and some tv from Crackle (advertising supported), a lot of national and international news content (via the Newscaster channel), and many other channels, both niche and mass-appeal.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you do plan on gaming and will do streaming then the 360 is probably the best route. Otherwise the Roku is a good inexpensive option.