What would you do?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by momolabs, Oct 6, 2007.

1. momolabs

momolabs New Member

Oct 6, 2007

Advertisements

We have an SD-DVR40 that I added HDD space to record up to 244 hours. It has 6.3e software. The HDD has a lot of show on it I don't want to lose.

I know there is newer equipment out there and we have had this a while. What I want to figure out, is should I upgrade to new hardware? If so, can I just transfer hard drives to the new box? Is it worth it to upgrade the hardware to newer used equipment? If so, what model should I look for so that I can get the best experience and still run directivo, or should I try to get new equipment from DirecTV?

We have a large HD ready TV, but I am not looking to upgrade to HD as of yet. The third sat is blocked by a large tree so I don't think I can get that at this house without taking out that tree.

So what would you do if you were in this exact situation?

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Go to www.mfslive.org download WinMFS and use an XP professional sp2 or higher computer to copy your old drive to the new drive. After copying the programs and system then expand the new drive to its entire size.

3. bigjohn

bigjohn Member

Mar 4, 2002
    Mount the dish to the tree :)

4. rock_doctor

rock_doctor resU deretsigeR

Oct 22, 2000
    Sorry but you don't really state what you problem is... If it is crashing and rebooting every couple of days or dropouts and periodic freezing, then that appears to be normal for the 6.3e software and does not necessarily suggest a hardware problem.

If you need a larger drive then you can do that upgrade easily as you have already done it in the past.

As far as the tree problem then you may consider moving the dish to another location that is not blocked by the trees. A handy man can do the instillation very easy, just make sure he puts it in a location you can get to so you can work on it.

IMHO the DVR40 is about as state of the art as you can get. You may be able to find a R10 but that will not really be a major upgrade in hardware. IMHO if it works for you stick with it. DTV's newest and greatest (R15) recorder runs their own software and most people will agree it is not a lateral move or upgrade to go from a TiVo unit to the R15.

Good luck,
    mark

5. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA

Advertisements

Unless you want to get an HD DVR there is no reason to upgrade.

6. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    I agree with rock_doctor and bigpuma. Unless you are having a hardware porblem or want to move to HD, there is no reason for you not to just keep your present unit.

No "newer" SD unit is going to give you anything you don't already have. The new units Directv would sell you will give you less in several important areas.

Relax and enjoy.

7. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    Hard drives files are specific to the receiver (unless you have already hacked the drive) and moving a drive to a different receiver would mean you have to do a Clear & Delete to have the drive re-mated to the motherboard on the new receiver

Since DTV no longer sells Tivo powered boxes, you should go read in the different forum about new equipment
    http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82