What would make ces successful and TiVo back on their game in your opinion?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by stuart628, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Jan 5, 2020 #1 of 58
    stuart628

stuart628 Active Member

Jul 5, 2006
    I am looking for 2 out of three things to happen which would be amazing

#1. Release of streaming apps firestick especially.
    #2. Release of the android streaming player
    #3. More streaming apps by either android based TiVo or other means

Bonus: support of live tv services which is probably a pipe dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puppy76 and AlvisoShowcase like this.
  2. Jan 5, 2020 #2 of 58
    mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    1. Release of Firestick, Roku and AppleTV streaming apps
    2. Release of a new Edge sku with a 3.5" drive inside
    3. Discontinuation of the Bolt Vox
    4. Creation of a backlit Tivo learning voice remote
    5. Abolish pre-roll ads
    6. Return to Gracenotes for guide data -Pipe dream

Rey likes this.
  3. Jan 5, 2020 #3 of 58
    stuart628

stuart628 Active Member

Jul 5, 2006
    I forgot one and the 3.5 inch drive comment reminded me...

External drives support for any usb drive...come on how hard is this.

Puppy76, OrangeCrush and RightHere like this.
  4. Jan 5, 2020 #4 of 58
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The things we want aren't going to be profitable. I think a streaming app would kill the sales of a mini, even if the streaming app isn't as feature rich as a mini. Plus Tivo just released an official WiFi adapter for the mini. I think the ability to use external USB drives on a tivo would kill sales of new tivos since the most likely cause of failure of a old tivo is the hard drive. Tivo locked down the mobile app from being used side loaded on a set top box for a reason.

Puppy76 and RightHere like this.
  5. Jan 5, 2020 #5 of 58
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I understand what you're saying--and yet, for some reason (I guess figuring that the potential tick up in general sales would be greater than a possible tick down in Mini sales), TiVo decided, at least initially, to go forward with the streaming app/Mini dual track.

mrsean likes this.
  6. Jan 6, 2020 #6 of 58
    RightHere

RightHere Member

Dec 17, 2002
    1) Announce a deal with several major cable co's to start using Tivo experience in CY2020.
    2) Cut all service fees by 50% (+ do something extra for people with lifetime subs)
    3) Drop price of EDGE devices by at least 25%
    4) Demo major UI improvements on an actual production build of v5, and commit to delivery to customers in Q1 2020 (not "later this year" vaporware). I want speed and useful features. I do not care about gimmicks like voice search (esp. when the competition has this).
    5) Maybe they partner with someone to add some Cloud DVR capability, to enhance capacity beyond what they have. For people that want to keep hundreds of hours of content, let them pay $x/hour of content to store it.

I don't expect to get any of these (and probably not any of the other things people in this thread are wishing for).

If they come out with a streaming device that's $40+, and they don't make any major content announcements re: Tivo +, this will be a complete bust for them. I can see no compelling reason why people would buy a non-DVR streaming device from Tivo at this point. MAYBE they have some success selling hardware at $25, but that's likely a very slim profit margin (and probably a low-mid tier hardware device).

They were "software as a service" before it was cool. So sad that they never capitalized on it.

7. Jan 6, 2020 #7 of 58
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Confused, what does "ces" have to do with this? Are we talking about the trade show Home ?

8. Jan 6, 2020 #8 of 58
    OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Maybe not, but Roku is doing great and SiliconDust, Tablo and Amazon seem to be doing fine in the DVR space. Sling's got its own android-based DVR-and-stick solution too. That's TiVo's most obvious path to relevance at this point, but they're quite late to the game.

They're definitely not going to succeed by continuing to sell underpowered overpriced bespoke cable boxes with garbage app support that makes a 5-year old smart TV look cutting edge in an era where even my 65 year old parents are ditching cable for streaming.

TiVo needs something big, and soon.

mrsean likes this.
  9. Jan 6, 2020 #9 of 58
    Narkul

Narkul Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    The overpriced mini just needs to be replaced with a $50 android dongle that even non-Tivo owners could buy and use. Maybe lock down the promised Tivo app to the dongle to ensure sales, if legal to do so. They'd sell a lot more $50 units to everyone vs $170 units to just Tivo owners.

The external usb drive shouldn't affect the sale of replacement Tivos as the unit won't boot when the main drive fails.

mrsean likes this.
  10. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I would love to see some kind of good and stable Roku/Apple TV application that is effectively a replacement for a mini as well as some kind of Android TV-based Tivo unit. Basically something that is a robust high quality streaming device with a great app ecosystem that has a great and responsive Tivo App built into it.

None of this is going to happen, but it would be great.

11. stuart628

stuart628 Active Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Great chance to make announcements is at ces. Also they announced the apps last year at ces plus they teased a big announcement this year.

Puppy76 likes this.
  12. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Heh. I missed the announcement. I've attended CES many years and have been going for the last few years. Will be getting on a plane in a bit over 12 hours to go again.

Never equated CES's success or lack of to anything TiVo might say or not say... The show is SO MUCH bigger than that.

13. stuart628

stuart628 Active Member

Jul 5, 2006
    WHAT?! you never thought that the whole of CES success was built on how tivo did at their little booth? come on your better then that of course it does.....or maybe I was just talking about TIVOS success (sorry this is a tivo centric forum I thought that was a given) at ces...come on man get it together....LOL just know that I am kinda jealous you get to go to ces that is a dream of mine one day when kids are raised and out of the house.

Puppy76 likes this.
  14. Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004
    It’s so weird to be to remember that I guess the point of two interfaces ago was that it was going to open up tivo for app development.

I mean it’s not WORTHLESS. I’m using Vudu for free movies and tv and it works well, and used the old Hulu interface for a year and Netflix before that (though at the time it lacked HDR support).

Meanwhile the “apps” on my high end 2016 tv won’t even load now

15. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    An announcement of a Federal Indictment against Rovi :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    ufo4sale likes this.
  16. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    A web series for the poster child of TiVo.

17. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Denounce Rovi, return to innovation instead of riding their own 20-year-old coattails.

18. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    A time machine is about the only thing I can think of that could help them out. ;)

OTher than that announce an AndroidTV OTA Tivo. And then partner with some of the OTT streaming services to deliver their services cheaper without locals only on the AndTV OTA Tivo.

19. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I know this is sort of a "hopeful" CES thread, but I think the more realistic expectations are maybe we'll hear about the apps, and probably hear about new Tivo+ partners. I know, I know, try to contain your excitement.

I don't know if they'll publicly talk about the android dongle yet, but I believe the dongle is their retail future. They want to organize the chaos of content, and they see an opening to do the same with the proliferation of apps. This is where the market is going. I don't think we'll even see another retail Tivo DVR after Edge.

jrtroo and AlvisoShowcase like this.
  20. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    I'd buy a new Tivo if they allowed the use of any USB external drive.