What would I pay if I'd upgrade my HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Torgo, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Torgo

Torgo Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I need some input from others trying to determine what magical formula would apply to this situation

I have 2 Tivos.
    Started with

Tivo HD - Subscription anniversary 11/15. Is currently on annual $129/year plan

Tivo Premiere - (bought after the HD) anniversary 9/11 (ouch), on annual MSD rate of $99year

With the streaming finally here, I'd like to replace the HD with another Premiere.

if I go to tivo.com, my 'upgrade offer' is $99 for another premiere, with $14.95/mo for 1 year commitment.

questions:
    1) I assume the yearly option is NOT available for this offer
    2) Would I end up with either paying $14.95/mo until eternity, or $399 for lifetime on the new Premiere
    3) would the $99/year on the original premier stay intact (assuming they'll continue to grandfather that)

Bonus question, the HD and possible future Premiere is OTA only, are all the OTA $9.99 plans history now?

Thanks!

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Your TivoHD is your MSD qualifying box. If you cancel that box, then one of the Premieres will have to bear a full cost subscription of $19.99 /mo.
    And yes, the yearly option is no longer available. It's either per month (with a year commitment) or lifetime.
    The $9.99 OTA only promo ended in November last year. I almost jumped on that one. I have heard of no plans to bring it back (I'm hoping they do).

I think you should call TiVo and see what they might offer you.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So how long have you had that HD?

(if you can get them to sell you $99 lifetime on it, it would still be the qualifier for MSD on the Premiere)

4. Torgo

Torgo Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Year and a half or so, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't qualify for the $99 deal. Not to mention the main driver would be to get streaming on both my boxes, so I'd have to have 2 premieres...

5. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The idea is, you call TiVo and tell them you're thinking of cancelling the THD. They may or may not offer the $99 lifetime deal. If they don't, you only lost a few minutes of your time. But if they do, you'll no longer have to pay monthly for it and it can be your MSD anchor.

I don't think there's an easy way out when the box you don't want to use any longer is your MSD anchor.
    I'm glad I bought lifetime for my S2 540. I don't use it that much these days but I have to keep it running if I want to keep getting a MSD.

6. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  7. Torgo

Torgo Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I'll call them.. Thanks to both of you for the feedback!

8. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002
    After years with Directv and now Tivo, one thing is clear. Almost every option is arbitrary at the CSR's descretion. Customer service wields the magic wand. If you don't like what one has to say, politely hangup and try again. Almost nothing is written in stone if you use tact and diplomacy.