What would everyone change?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by davestercrombie, Aug 19, 2010.

1. davestercrombie

davestercrombie New Member

Jul 27, 2010

Advertisements

I just noticed I got a survey how I liked my new TiVo premiere xl. Well I was honest and told them up front I was very dissatisfied.

Here is my list of items I would like to see TiVo upgrade in order.

1 fix the hd menu mini lock ups. It is such a buzz kill when your looking through your saved shows and the box decides to lock it self in the TiVo crapper and make u wait.

2 the sd sub menu's have got to go. It's almost like it was Friday afternoon and the hd menu engineers decided to duck out of work early and left the new interface very unfinished.

3 upgrade the amazon / netflix interface. I got torched here a few week back because I was so disappointed the TiVo interface for amazon and netflix was so outdated that my low price roku kicked the crap out of my brand new TiVo. I was stupid to believe the company marketing hype that I thought TiVo had a cool interface to netflix and amazon. I can't even browse my owned amazon movies from the TiVo menu. I should have been a member or this forum to know he truth.

4 out of memory error. I am so sick of seeing this every 7 to 8 times playing netflix movie.

5 add the ability to not skip commercials during recordings. Even a beta attempt would be nice.

6 this has to do mire with the cable company but a wish list item would be a 2 way cable card. Sometimes I like to veg out and watch free ondemand stuff. This would not be such a big deal if the TiVo had more of a roku interface to netflix and amazon.

7 I hate the fact that I can only transfer some TiVo recordings to other TiVo boxes. I wish they would implement some kind of divx codec so that u can stream from the TiVo that has the recording to another TiVo on the same subnet. Get would get rid of the drm recording restrictions. That's how sling box gets around it.

8 IPHONE applications! When the hd software engineers get back from their vacation and after they fix that pitiful excuse for a revolutionary hd menu from the TiVo 3 hd. Get them working on some iPhone applications. I can stream from my Slingbox to my iPhone anywhere in the world. All u need to do is set up he ddns correctly and have the correct ports forwarding. Why can't I stream my TiVo recordings to my iPhone. That feature would push the TiVo name back in the front of innovation. The first streaming dvr.

9 better expandable storage. I saw that u can use netgear's home style x raid to expand the TiVo storage. Problem is it needs a USB connection to the TiVo. TiVo would be stupid not to take advantage of gigabyte home networks and create a software package that would allow over the network iscsi as usable storage with any hard drive setup.

Those are my lists for improvement.

What's yours?

2. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    At this point, new feature requests are completely unrealistic, so scratch all those. They obviously can't even do the CORE stuff right anymore.

I got the survey, too, and what I asked for was:

Speed. (Kill the lag, drop Flash if you have to)
    Reliability. (Reboots and stuttering performance on the menus suck)
    Complete HD interface. (Why did it launch with half and half?)
    Add back features missing from HD that are in SD and have been forever.
    Ambient animation like the "Classic" TiVos have always had would be nice, but it was down on the list.

3. AnotherBostonGuy

AnotherBostonGuy New Member

May 5, 2010
    Ditto. I agree with your priorities.

4. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    If after they ever get everything fast and complete and stable:

1) The ability to backup (and restore) all my settings and configurations to a USB device (like a flash drive) so it is not lost when the unit fails or is replaced.
    2) HD menus that are controllable so user doesn't have to look at anything animated and without losing the option for the old SD menus.
    3) More and better video file playback formats (see #4).
    4) Ability to transfer video from, or at least play from, a USB device (like a flash drive)
    5) Far better/newer Netflix client.
    6) Software based "tuning adapter" so that stupid thing isn't required.
    7) DNLA streaming.
    8) Ability to transfer video TO a USB device (like a flash drive)
    9) Web browser.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

OK, why would you want to disable skipping commercials?
    Isn't that one of the main reasons to buy a Tivo? It was for me. :confused:

:)

6. sender_name

sender_name I remember XM 202!

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma
    Yeah...I didn't quite understand that one myself...

7. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    My guess is the OP meant to automatically skip commercials as ReplayTV was sued for doing many years ago.

8. alokkola

alokkola New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    I guess I am at the other end of the spectrum. I am soooo disappointed with the HDUI (unstable, laggy and distracting displays on top) that I have fallen in love with the SDUI again because it is super fast on Premiere. So scratch off the HDUI initiative and give me more features so I can reduce the boxes connected to my TV. I want Tivo to replace every other box that I need for playing Netflix, Pandora, Facebook, personal video files, etc. As a DVR, Tivo is already excellent so the core is there. HDUI is NOT core.

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    and then note how new features should come after other things but.........

so here is mine and really these should not be new features :D

-complete set of HD menus
    -Netflix streaming as flash app that allows browsing by genres or by name only titles available to Netflix streaming
    - streaming between TiVo DVRs.

10. davestercrombie

davestercrombie New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Actually that was a typo on my iPhone. I want the ability to skip commercials to save space. The 30 second forward button is nice but considering a 60 min show has 10 to 15 mins of commercial that is a bunch of wasted space.

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yep, comskip will never happen on a Tivo. Hell if they could just do what zeo proposed it'd be way better than it is now, assuming the HD UI bugs are fixed.

I'll add single view management of all Tivos from one (record, watch, delete, resolve conflicts across all).

The sad part is that the same stuff comes up over and over again, with no work done and no explanation of what will be done or why it can't be done.

12. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Oh, I agree with you. An improved "classic" interface is MUCH preferred by me to the current horrible HDUI, but I just don't think that's the way they're going.

13. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Seconded. I see this is the biggest feature lacking in Tivo DVRs at the moment. If streaming was added, a solution could be found for those whose cableco's are copy-protecting everything.

I'd go one step further and add the ability to stream from Tivo to non-Tivo devices, and start development of low-cost stream receivers ("extenders" or "mates").

Oh, and one other thing I'd do, I'd rip every last bit of Flash from the device, and restart the code base back where it was a couple years ago. I'd pay whomever those competent programmers who worked on the S1/S2/S3 whatever they asked to come back to the project and implement HD starting from the S3 code base. I really hope Tivo started doing this about 3 months ago when they realized the current premiere wasn't viable.

14. Carl Edman

Carl Edman New Member

May 14, 2007
    I mostly agree, but:

I'd be very hesitant about this. Commercial skipping is very nice, but even the best algorithms for automatic commercial skipping and deletion fail with some regularity. People would hate losing parts of their shows. Given how cheap storage is these days, I'd keep commercial skipping (automatic or manual) for playback, not recording.

That's not true. I have an Netgear/Infrant ReadyNAS X-RAID box on my network and it and the TiVo see each other just fine without any USB connection. That is true both for older ReadyNAS RAIDs, like mine, and the most recent models which has TiVo compatibility/approval as its big selling point.

I'd like something really, really simple requiring no extra processing power and probably only a handful of lines of code: The option to make a Season Pass (or Wishlist Recording) stop recording new shows once it has reached its capacity limit, rather than deleting the older shows to make room for new ones.

For example, my wife likes to keep a bunch of Law & Orders on tap for times when she isn't feeling well a couple times a year. She has seen most of them, but given a random set of 25, she'll find a bunch she wouldn't mind watching any time. So I set up a Wishlist Recording for the show to save 25 showings for whenever they are needed.

Downside: Given that there is a Law & Order on some channel pretty much all the time, one of the TiVo's tuners is kept permanently busy uselessly replacing last week's 15-year old reruns with this week's 15-year old reruns. Hence other low-priority season passes, wishlist recording, and TiVo suggestions never get filled.

The suggested option would solve that problem.

15. Carl Edman

Carl Edman New Member

May 14, 2007
    Please don't. I hated those. In order not to take up too much space/processing power, TiVo compressed the background animations so heavily that they looked good awful on modern, large, high-quality displays. The amount of digital noise was so huge that I'd pick a nice, clean static background any time.

16. rogmatic

rogmatic Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I was pretty stunned to see that the HDUI is not present on the sub-menus. That should definitely be fixed - I don't see what it is that hard. I don't really care about it being in 1080i or 480i - it should be a seemless visual transition between menus (and the PIP box should continue to work).

I would move the discovery bar crap to the sides instead of the top. Having the bar on the top seems like a dumb idea for 16:9 tvs and means that the text is pretty small below the discovery bar. Of course, I would rather just delete the discovery bar entirely, but I assume this is necessary for advertising purposes.

17. dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    Couldn't you solve the constant L&O replace cycle by recording the wishlist as KUID (Keep Until I Delete)? That way you always have 25 around, and you are only recording them after you deleted them.

18. Carl Edman

Carl Edman New Member

May 14, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion. :up: I'll try that. Somehow I was under the impression that KUID plus a limited number of episodes would not suppress future recordings, but now that I think about it, it very well might.

19. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    The fancy front panel OLED is the only thing i miss from my Series 3.

20. Geophory

Geophory New Member

May 8, 2010
    Hulu streaming!