What will the TiVo HD do without Cablecard?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jcla, Oct 12, 2007.

1. jcla

jcla New Member

Jan 16, 2006

Advertisements

Rogers Cable (in Canada) doesn't support CableCard.

If I was to purchase the TiVo HD, Series3, or Series2 DT, what capabilities would it have without any CableCards?

Has anyone heard anything about Rogers supporting CableCard? I've sent in an email to their technical support and they said "we don't have any info on that".

John

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
  3. jcla

jcla New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks for the info.

As far as the S2DT goes, is the digital tuner internal, or does it use a set top box from the cable company to handle that (similar to the normal S2)?

John

4. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    One tuner/input can be used for the STB and one internal (or two internal). Internal tuners are NTSC only.

5. defond

defond Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Wisconsin

Advertisements

You also do not need cableCARDs for the TiVo HD either. It will be able to function just like the Series 2 DT. This is how mine is set up. I am planning to upgrade to digital cable with HD programming in the future so i am set.

I would get the HD Unit because then if your cable company desides to upgrade to cableCard you could then take advantage of this feature. But keep in mind the TiVo HD is not compatable with a seperate digital cable box. So if you want digital cable go with the Series 2 DT

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The Series 2 DT is the one to get in Canada. There is no sign of Cablecards being supported by Rogers or any major provider. You won't get digital OTA data either.

7. robm15

robm15 New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    One thing to keep in mind, if you have any digital or premimum programming you want to record, then the S2DT is the one to get. It can tune your cable box to record off the channels that are beyond the analog channels. The TivoHD can not tune a cable box. But I'm not in Canada, so you might want to besure that the S2DT can indeed tune a cable box there, but if it can, you'll have more flexibility than a TivoHD can give you since cable cards are not a option for you.

8. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

The TiVo HD does NOT work just like the Series 2DT.

As you said in your second paragraph, there's no way for the TiVo HD to control the channel changes on a STB.

The S2 DT is able to control a cable or satellite box.

Getting a Series 3 or HD to use for scrambled digital (or even analog) channels is NOT the way to go if cable cards are not available from the cable company.