what will I lose

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by markham, Oct 13, 2007.

1. markham

markham New Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Hartley...

Advertisements

I know from previous threads that Sky plus is considered inferior to Tivo but what exactly will I lose if I switch.

2. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Self respect :p

3. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Wishlists, suggestions and any real form of keyword search.

Detailed program information is restricted too , e.g no program description unless you go to the full EPG. You can't see it in now/next.

4. Pugwash

Pugwash New Member

May 23, 2003
    Spalding'ish
    Network access, web interface and a plain silver box.

5. Lysander

Lysander New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Bedfordshire

Advertisements

Reliability?

6. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    A lot of money each month!!!!!!! :eek:

7. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    The will to live? :p

8. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    Man Card

9. boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    In fairness you will also loose almost all of the conflicts (that's what a dual tuner gives you!)

You will loose bad channel changes and the fact that it records the raw data means you will loose a small drop in quality.

As previously mentioned though - you really will miss things like decent wishlists and season passes - wait until Christmas with the 2-3 week gap in lots of big series - lots if not most of your series links will just die.

Also, record only new episodes and keep a maximum of - neither of these exist on Sky+

10. JudyB

JudyB New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Not unless they change the conditions again. At present Sky+ subscription is free if you subcribe to Sky, so there is only the initial outlay.

What we are considering is getting a Sky+ box, but only recording from Sky+ when there is a conflict which we can't manage with TiVo. We have previously used our old OnDigital box with a video recorder to handle this, but the quality is very poor compared with Tivo.

So, if you use the Tivo to control the Sky+ then you don't lose anything. The only downside is the limitation that you can't watch a Sky+ recording if Tivo wants to record something for you, but I think we should be able to live with that!

There is a separate thread which discusses controlling a Sky+ box from a Tivo.