What will I be able to retain with HD change?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by peakay, Jan 10, 2019.

1. peakay

peakay Member

Apr 7, 2002

Advertisements

Hi there,

If I replace the HD in our Roamio with a 3TB WD red, what settings will remain and what will be lost (without doing anything custom on a PC)?

I bought the above drive thinking I had a HD issue, but it was the power brick, so now i am debating whether it to swap it now or not. i have years of custom wishlist searches, one passes, etc.. Not worried about the loss of recorded content.

Thanks!

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    All of it will be gone.

Except you can make backups of most all of that (edit: While the 'old' drive is still running) simply with KMTTG and then restore it to the new drive.

-KP

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    PCurry57 and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can copy shows from that older drive still connected to Tivo.
    KMTTG copies the shows (although only from Tivo), Passes and other things can be copied back (from old drive) and forth (to newer drive), once that drive is fully setup, connected to Tivo Service. For getting shows back, use PyTivo (or PyTivo Desktop)

4. peakay

peakay Member

Apr 7, 2002
    OK, let me be a little more clear -- all I am willing to do is take out the old 500gb hard drive, install the new 3TB, turn it on and go back through guided setup.

>> Will Tivo online restore my wishlist searches, one passes and thumbs? I DO NOT care about current recordings on my old drive.

Thanks.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

No. Online can copy your 1P from box to box. That's it.

kmttg can save and then restore the other items (and more). but I have no experience with it doing that.

PCurry57 likes this.
  6. peakay

peakay Member

Apr 7, 2002
    OK, thanks all. What I did was login to tivo online prior to making the change, took screenshots of all my 127 or so passes, changed the hd, then used ivo online to book the 25 or so passes i still needed on the new drive.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I'd still vote for getting kmttg. :)

Scott

kpeters59 likes this.
  8. UsernameNeedHelp

UsernameNeedHelp New Member

Jan 11, 2020
    If you don’t care if you lose anything, can you just install a new hard drive on a roamio basic?

9. UsernameNeedHelp

Jan 11, 2020
    And it will work like magic?

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No, it will just store programs. Drives, like WD Red, are a "just plug it in". Larger require more work. Last time I changed a basic Roamio to 3TB it took 10 minutes total. Wrong forum for magic.

11. UsernameNeedHelp

Jan 11, 2020
    So what do you have to do after you replace the hard drive so it works like it’s supposed to again?

12. UsernameNeedHelp

Jan 11, 2020
    I have a roamio basic & was curious how easy it is to replace the hd is the reason I’m asking. I have lifetime service on it so.

13. UsernameNeedHelp

Jan 11, 2020
    It doesn’t seem too hard to physically replace the drive but then what?

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    After you replace the drive it will seem as if you have a new unit out of the box. It will remember a few items but nothing important. You repeat Guided Setup. You setup all your options and preferences.

You do need to buy the proper tools. See: TiVo Upgrade Center or buy the kit from Weeknees. See TiVo Superstore | Upgraded TiVo DVRs, Remotes, Parts, Repairs

Hardest part is removing the case without breaking the little tabs.
    OTA_Drive.JPG

15. UsernameNeedHelp

Jan 11, 2020
    Thank you!!!!!

JoeKustra likes this.
  16. UsernameNeedHelp

Jan 11, 2020
    Oooohhhhhh!! I’m new to this form & new to trying to fix a TiVo. I get it now. The tool kit comes with the hard drive and simply put - has the guts needed to make it work like a brand new TiVo. That’s awesome!

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No it doesn't. You can buy the tools on eBay also, usually cheaper.

"fix a TiVo" what's broken?

18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Are you trying to replace a failed drive or upgrade to a larger drive? If you are replacing a failed drive or upgrading to a larger drive and don't want to save the shows, you can just drop in a drive up to 3TB (recommended are WD Red NAS 5400 rpm drives like the WD30EFRX) and the Roamio will automatically format it.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-3TB-NAS-...d+3tb+red&qid=1578840701&s=electronics&sr=1-2

Joe was just indicating you need a Torx screwdriver to open your Roamio. I recommend this one that you should be able to pick up at your local Walmart for $8.44.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-To...-Precision-Screwdriver-Set-with-Case/17190613

If you want to use a larger than 3TB drive or want to copy/save your shows, you can visit the Upgrade forum here for guidance.

Scott

Mikeguy likes this.
  19. UsernameNeedHelp

Jan 11, 2020
    That’s even better. I’ve gotten lucky I think.

the problem - last night all lights started blinking - 2 green, one red & one blue & stuck on welcome screen. I immediately thought of hard drive. I started researchujg last night. Info was - it’s hd or psu. This is going to sound dumb but I didn’t realize the psu Was the power cord. Thought it was the piece inside the box that the cord plugs into. No idea how to test that. Asked someone - what is psu... duh, power cord. Oh I can test that easily!!!

I also have a bolt. I tried that psu on the roamio & it worked!!! Happy dance!!! So hoping for no hard drive replacement. Waiting for micro center to open to get another psu.

HerronScott likes this.
  20. UsernameNeedHelp

Jan 11, 2020
    thanks for the tip about the tool.