What Will A TiVo Do Without Service?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ckelly33, Sep 23, 2008.

1. ckelly33

ckelly33 Member

Oct 29, 2004

Advertisements

I have three S3 TiVo's - one that I rarely use. How functional would it be if I dropped the monthly service? I know that I wouldn't get the guide anymore but would I be able to....

1. ... still use it as a CableCARD decoder and watch TV?
    2. ... transfer programs from any of my othe (active) TiVo's and watch them on the one I'm no longer paying for?

Thanks for any information you can provide on this! (BTW - I'm approaching the end of my contract on the monthly one (the other two are Lifetimers).

2. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I'm not sure about #1 (you obviously wouldn't have guide data and couldn't do anything except pause live tv), but #2 is a "no". Networking features simply don't work on unsubbed TiVos.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    cry in the corner because it can no longer play with its buddies nor record any good shows. :eek:

4. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Let's clarify that. It should be "under normal circumstances......". Some earlier TiVos (such as my AT&TiVo S2) still work as a manual record unit. Works great to resolve conflicts, albeit in SD.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

ok some may not sulk in a corner but go for more of a "slow children at play" approach :D

** of course this answer can be found in the 12 other threads with the exact same question from this week. ;)

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

The OP specified three Series 3 machines.

These don't work without service.

7. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Wait, you're going to reduce a Series 3 to an HD cable box?

Sell it and get a cable box.

8. ckelly33

ckelly33 Member

Oct 29, 2004
    What I was hoping for was a monthly savings. Renting cable box is higher than the 6.95/month for the TiVo by twice the amount of the TiVo that I'm paying now.

Just looking to save a lttle on a device I get verry little use out of (but I'm glad it's there when I want it).

9. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Well, you could do what I have done for years. I have always subscribed to the lifeline Comcast package for $10/mo. It basically is only the locals, but by law, it also includes the local HD (clear QAM).

10. mpastreich

mpastreich New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Well ... I hate to suggest spending MORE money, but if you think you're going to keep the Series3 units for longer than ~3.5 years, then the $300 for a lifetime service might make sense (versus the $7 a month).

More money now, but after the 3.5 years, its "free".

of course, you're increasing your expenses from 21$ to 900$ now, so its a bit of an iffy equation. :)

Edit:
    FYI, I've got a second Series 2 I use the same way, no cable connection, use it to watch video from the main unit hooked to the cable. I've been looking into a Series 3 or HD, once I get an answer on what sort of OTA reception I can get in my area. When I get the replacement unit, I'm trying to save up for a Lifetime so I don't have to worry about monthly expenses, otherwise I feel like I'm getting nickel and dimed by everyone wanting only X$ a month (phone, cable, TiVo, internet, etc, etc, etc)

11. ckelly33

ckelly33 Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I have thought about making the third one a lifetimer, but 3.5 years is a long time for a chronic upgrader like myself. Besides, that DirecTV TiVo for 2009 looks pretty good to me. I'll likely switch at that point so the added $ is a bit of a stretch with that in mind.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But you'll likely be able to get a significant portion of the lifetime fee back when selling the unit.