What was your reason for hacking your Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Tracy RainH2o, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Ok gang. I do not fully understand every benefit gained from hacking a Tivo. Please tell me the main reasons for hacking a Tivo and maybe I'll get it.

I get the caller ID feature.
    Logos added to channels.
    Adding a larger HD.

What's with the networking it to a computer? My computers are networked for internet connection sharing. Is there a FAQ or Tivo Hacking for Dummies? :confused:

Thanks !!!

2. sabotage

sabotage New Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I just wrote a post with all the things I do with my hacked tivo - but then realized that they might not be allowed on this forum, so I delete it - sorry.

3. austin61

austin61 New Member

Jun 2, 2005
    For me the main benefit is MRV (multi room viewing). I have 3 DTivos networked, so MRV allows me to watch something recorded on one unit in a different room where another unit is.

Other things like caller-id, merging programs, etc are a bonus. For me the killer app is MRV.

4. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    For me, the killer app is tivowebplus, followed closely by being able to extract the shows I want to save to DVD. With tivowebplus, I can access any of my three DTiVos from anywhere with an internet connection to set up a recording or just check to see if everything on a TiVo is working as it should.

5. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    MRV and TWP do it for me. Streaming shows to my mac is nice as well.

6. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC

Same here - except I use a pc and not a Mac. :)

7. dnemec123

dnemec123 Member

Jan 24, 2004
    Oregon
    MRV, HMO (Music and Photos from my PC) and a larger hard drive were my main goals.

Caller ID, FTP, telnet and TWP were just "frosting on the cake" as far as features go.

D

8. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    TWPing in from work to record a show or enter a season pass. Backing up all my season passes and favorite channels so when I hose my tivo (or buy a new one), I never have to enter them from scratch.

9. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Multi-room viewing is one of my goals.

I want to be able to let my daughter watch her Tivoed Little Einsteins and Dora the Explorer in her room. In order to make this work would I need a networked computer in each room, and each connected to the television? Or is it to be viewed only on the computer monitor?

10. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    multi room viewing is done between tivos.
    In the now playing list of the MRV enabled tivos will be an icon representing the other tivos on your network.

11. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    NOW I UNDERSTAND !!!!!!!!! :cool:

I was thinking it was between Tivos but not totally sure. If they are DirecTV Tivos, do the additional Tivos have to be activated with DirecTV?

12. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Am I correct that these features are not available for the HR10-250?

13. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Everything except MRV and HMO is available for the HR10-250.

14. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Is the extracting part of HMO?

15. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    no

16. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    Nope :D
    just have to have valid access cards

17. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Referring to The Zipper, what is the purpose of keeping the Tivo from calling in?

18. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    it's best not to alert Tivo that you have a hacked up unit. I have no idea if they can tell with the call in since nobody knows exactly what happens when a unit calls in better safe than sorry.

19. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I think it used to be more of an issue when everyone was using 4.01b, because then your Tivo would download new software when it called in. Theory was that if thousands of superpatched tivos called in everyday consuming tivos download bandwidth, they'd eventually get pissed and cut you off. There's really no reason to call in, since tivo gets guide data from the satellite.

20. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    OK......now I am searching for used Series 2 Tivos to network. If I find a steal of a deal on a Tivo that does not have the access card, am I wasting my time?

I have cards that I can rob from old unused DTV recievers but I assume I will have to contact DTV to match the card with the reciever right? If that is correct, from what I hear they require a contract for all sdditional recievers.

Is that correct?