What universal remote will work with Premeire XL

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by cstrehlo, May 27, 2011.

1. cstrehlo

cstrehlo New Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Hello Everyone,

I have a TiVo Premeire XL 150 and I have so many remotes, and I want to get down to one, it's just the Tivo one is the problem. I've researched this question and I can't find a direct answer to this. I am truely sorry if this has been beat to death. Please forgive me.

Thanks to all for your time to read this.
    cstrehlo

2. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    I use a Harmony One to control my Premiere, 2 DirectTV HR20s, TV, Onkyo receiver, Blu-Ray, Apple TV and HDMI switch. Works great and the Harmony configuration site knew about all of them so no manual key programming.

3. rabinny

rabinny New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I believe the Logitech Harmony One will operate your Premiere.

"sorry, I was late on that one"

4. cstrehlo

cstrehlo New Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Thank you all so very much for responding. When you say that you use it for your premeire, is that the direct tv premeire? I have a premeire XL 150 ...or does it even matter. Please excuse my ignorance on this stuff. I just read good and bad about the Harmony One, and I just want to make sure I'll have all my Tivo remote options with the new remote.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The Harmony One should work fine - I have an older Logitech remote it it works just fine. If you don't know much about the Logitech remotes you should read up on them. They are not like a universal remote you would buy at Walmart or Best Buy. You set them up on a computer with software thats connects to Logitech servers and you can assign costume features to just about any button. Takes awhile to do your first setup but you can control almost anything. Really great feature set.

Good Luck,

6. robm15

robm15 New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I have the harmony one, and it works great with my Premeire. There is no difference between the regular premeire and the XL when it comes to remote codes.

If you have never owned a logitech universal remote before, I recommend you research them before you buy. I love them, but they do require a PC to program.

7. cstrehlo

cstrehlo New Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Thanks so much to everyone for your comments. It really is nice that you can go somewhere and find kind people to answer your questions. I will try the harmony and see how it goes. Ive heard they can be difficult to set up. Ill set aside a Saturday afternoon to do so.

Thanks Again!
    cstrehlo

8. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    You might want to give the Universal Remote Control MX-500 a look. They can be had for about $75 on ebay new and it's one of our "go to" remotes for auxillary rooms. Fantastic, powerful remote.

9. cstrehlo

cstrehlo New Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Thanks! And this remote will have all the functionality as the tivo remote for the Premeire XL?

Thank you!
    cstrehlo

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I have a Harmony One that controls three of my Premieres.

11. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    I have a universal remote that costs in the $10-$20 range that will control all the devices, but my buttons are wearing out. The harmony sounds like something I might have a hankering for, because of the PC interface, docking station, touch screen (no buttons to wear out) and context sensitive menus. I've never had one of them, but they sound very nice.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The Harmony One still has buttons. But it has a combination of a touch screen and hard buttons. IN the early 2000's had a Pronto remote which was entirely touch screen. But you always had to look at it to use it. So I really never liked it much. I spent years searching for a very good remote.
    I've found the Harmonyny One is the best of both worlds. Hard buttons and a touch screen. And it can still fit in your hand too.

13. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    +1 on the Harmony One - we have two and use them extensively.

We also have a Harmony 700 and it controls the Tivos (and everything else) perfectly as well.

Really, Logitech's remote code database for the Harmony remotes is pretty good. Even if there's an unusual device that needs a specific setting, support works it out with you.

14. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I use the Tivo slide remote to control our entire home theater system. Its programmable and can learn codes from other remotes. Works very well. We also use tivo glo remotes for all other tvs in the house. Keeps the interface consistant.

15. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    You can also try The MX 650 its a great remote, it is also powerful. It can run up to 20 devices:cool:YOU can get it on ebay new:up:

16. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Harmony 900 here, and have it controlling two Tivo's and everything else in the home entertainment center. Never any issues. Program once, customize once if you wish, and you are good to go for anything in your setup.

17. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I also love using my Harmony once it is setup, but the web based setup (you'll need Windows or maybe a Mac) is truly horrible. Fortunately you don't have to use it much once you get things the way you want them. Here's my review from a few years ago when I got my old harmony:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/hardware/harmony/harmony.html

The new ones seem to have slightly different software for programming them which may not be quite so horrible, but I'm still dismayed by the gap between what the harmony hardware is capable of and what the logitech software limits them to doing.

I keep thinking someone ought to make a IR transmitter that is controlled by bluetooth so any smartphone could become a remote, but I haven't managed to find such a gadget on the market.