What TV is best for Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by RichardJH, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1 of 44
    RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....

Advertisements

My old Sony 32" W/S CRT TV is starting to fail and wanting advice on what to buy (LCD or Plasma) to get the best out of my 2 Tivos both running Mode 0.

Not looking for bigger than 37" (SWMBO says no bigger than 32")

One Tivo on cable and one on Freeview plus I also have a Virgin V+ box that gives HD albeit limited channels at present. No option for a dish so no to Sky or Freesat.

Any advice would be helpful

2. Apr 9, 2009 #2 of 44
    healeydave

healeydave from tivoland.com

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    I'm sure you'll get loads of different opinions.

I purchased a LG 42" some years ago and have been very pleased with it. I have mode 0 running and I tweaked the Tivos contrast settings. I think some sets will mix better with the Tivo than others and I just made a lucky decision.

My friend on the other hand picked his set (a Panasonic) married up to a Sky+ set-up by following the Which recommendations. On paper it should be great but he's never been happy with his set-up, always comparing it to mine. Without really wanting to agree with him (trying to be diplomatic), I have to say its not great and I have never been able to put my finger on why.

3. Apr 9, 2009 #3 of 44
    cyril

cyril Active Member

Sep 5, 2001
    London UK
    If I were you I'd go for the 37" Panasonic plasmas. I prefer them to any of the LCDs.

4. Apr 9, 2009 #4 of 44
    healeydave

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    £500k, sell the restaurant Cyril.

5. Apr 9, 2009 #5 of 44
    cyril

cyril Active Member

Sep 5, 2001
    London UK

Advertisements

Well need offers over 700k :)

Unfortunately the banks get all the dough, so still need a spare 500k.

6. Apr 9, 2009 #6 of 44
    Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch Member

Apr 30, 2005
    LCD or plasma? It doesn't matter, as a UK S1 TiVo cannot supply a signal good enough to make a difference, regardless of the display technology.

Edge enhancement is edge enhancement and will be visible on an LCD or plasma.
    [​IMG]

7. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....

Are you saying that is the case even when running Mode0 at Best quality ?

8. healeydave

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    Whats happened to that snow image, it looks awful, I guess its what you get through a digital camera when paused.
    Just so no-one see's this thread in the future and thinks that's what the Tivo looks like all the time, I just took one of mine (unpaused) :)

[​IMG]

9. healeydave

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    Had to replace the LCD I had on my Tivo Test Rig at the weekend because it started blanking after a few seconds of being on.

Picked up a cheap Hitachi 22" just for testing from Currys, but whilst there, I noticed the nice new Samsung 40" LED they have just got in. Man its so thin, I think I actually left some drool on it :)

10. B33K34

B33K34 ENABLED!

Feb 9, 2003
    London
    Seconded on the Panasonic plasma recommendation. Plasma's, IME are far more tolerent of poor quality input and have much better viewing angles.

It is worth checking external dimensions of the screens - I was restricting myself to 37" sets but the Panasonic plasmas used to have a very wide frame around the screen. The 42" Pioneer i actually bought was only very slightly larger but is a significantly bigger viewing area.

11. bigwold

bigwold Sedentary Member

Jun 4, 2003
    Surrey/Susse...
    I thought that was a typo until I checked on Currys website - I really must try to keep up with technology:eek:

12. healeydave

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    Wait til you see one in a store, its one of those items whose aesthetics can't be appreciated from a picture :)

and I only saw the 40" , not the 46" or the 55"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. cyril

cyril Active Member

Sep 5, 2001
    London UK
    Unfortunately those LED TVs are still LCD-based.
    The LEDs are the backlights, which is why they are so thin.
    Very nice to look at side on, and catching up with plasma in PQ but I would still go for plasma myself.

14. healeydave

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    I think my Plasma is on its way out, its on 16 hrs a day from 7a.m til 11p.m, so I imagine the life expectancy is severely affected compared to normal usage.

I don't know the true symptoms of an end of life Plasma, but I'm getting golden speckles in the picture background like fine glitter.

15. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    Wait till you see the picture quality, light bleed and crap black level next to a Panasonic plasma in a viewing room and you will be buying the Plasma everytime......

16. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Unfortunately I am going to be limited to 32" and it doesn't seem that any plasmas are available in that size. So any recommendations and experiences of 32" LCD that work well with Tivo using Mode0 welcomed

17. healeydave

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    I'll take your word for it, these stores (or at least ours) put them in brand order, hehe

18. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    "sparklies"?

Actually, that's often the symptoms of a bad HDMI cable, particularly if its a "long" one (2M+) - or has been bent/abused

Try a replacement HDMI cable before buying a new plasma screen ;)

19. healeydave

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    It could be damaged, its been plugged into different boxes just recently, I'll inspect it.

As its just a digital signal transport, I thought a damaged HDMI cable would just damage the picture completely.

Perhaps I shouldn't believe everything I see :) but the gadget show did a test some months ago with 2 x identical calibrated TV's , using a cheap £5 cable and a ridiculous £100+ cable to prove that there would be no difference in picture quality because HDMi just send digital signals and the data either arrived or it didn't was the theory behind it.

20. stujac

stujac Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Hope you don't mind a stateside opinion but I'm with him; I've got the 46" Panny plasma and absolutely love it. Have had it for a year without even the slightest issue.