What to get next?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by CyberGlitch, May 11, 2007.

1. CyberGlitch

CyberGlitch TiVoHoLiC

Dec 9, 2001

Advertisements

I've had a S1 GXCEBOT for just over 4 years and hasn't given me a single problem. It's upgraded and no phone hacked. Past few weeks it looks like it is on it's last legs. Constantly hanging and rebooting on it's own. Thought maybe overheating, took the cover completely off and have a fan blowing near it; temp usually around 40C so it's not overheating. It's just the machines time. :(

Anyways, my wife has a R10 that we got maybe 2 years or so ago and with no issues. I wanna get another new unit but haven't read anything good about the R15. Should I just take a chance and buy some other used unit off ebay? Given that I've been outta the DTivo game for a few years; I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Or should I slit my wrist and get the DT* DVR? :eek: :D BTW, I don't need HD at this time either.

2. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    Sounds like a failing hard drive. Have you tried to replace the harddrive?

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'll second the replace the hard drive choice. :)

4. CyberGlitch

CyberGlitch TiVoHoLiC

Dec 9, 2001
    I painstakingly did the upgrage/hackes on my unit 4 years ago. I see there is InstantCake now that makes it easy. Will this include a no phone hack, since I have no phone line and don't want the nags? It doesn't seem to mention it in the description for the GXCEBOT download.

I think I have a few older unused IDE drives laying around so it would be a simple test.

5. skaeight

skaeight New Member

Jan 20, 2004

Advertisements

I now have a Dtivo, R15, and a HR20 in service. I love tivos and for a long time didn't want anything else. However, both the R15 and HR20 are both very good DVRs (am I allowed to say that here?). If you're thinking about going HD, get a HR20 it actually is really great. The R15 has also gotten to the point where it is stable and records things accurately. (I actually took a second dtivo out of service instead of the R15 when i got my HR20). Either way you can't go wrong.

If you want to stay with D* it's time to start thinking about moving on past tivo.

One other thing is I've done the tivo hacking game, and maybe I'm just getting too old for this or something, but when I had to rehack my tivos for the DST I decided I was sick of messing around with this stuff. I'm glad I have a couple of boxes now that I won't have to mess with to get them to continue to work in the future.

6. CyberGlitch

CyberGlitch TiVoHoLiC

Dec 9, 2001
    Yea, that's one of my concerns. I know DT* is moving away from TiVo and doing their own thing. However, I also know it'll be years before they shut them down entirely.

Didn't find any larger IDE drives besides a 8G. So my choices at this point are buy an upgraded kit, new R12 or new DT* DVR of some sort. Will have to get in touch with DT* and see what it'll cost to get one of their DVRs and then weight my choices at that point.