What to do.....

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rbenotti, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Aug 1, 2011 #1 of 14
    rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Hello all - it's been a while.

I have a Series 2 Digital TiVo with a $7/month subscription. Ideally I would like a unit in my bedroom either with FiOS or an antenna. However, FiOS requires a digital box (at $3.99/month rental fee) and the Series 2 I have doesn't get QAM or Antenna tuner and FiOS doesn't appear to broadcast only digital.

Any thoughts on what I should or can do? I really don't want to rent a cablecard either as the until this will be connected too is small (22" LCD max)

Do any series 2 (or 3) support QAM guide and recording with subscription?

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

2. Aug 1, 2011 #2 of 14
    sathead

sathead Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Cable card cost is usually minimal- some cable co's will give you the first cable card at no charge, ask your provider. If not free- could be $1/month or close to that.

Our cable co used to charge $1.50/month for the card- but recently they change it to free.

3. Aug 1, 2011 #3 of 14
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    It is a little hard to understand what you have now and what you want to end up with.

You talk about FIOS and OTA for your bedroom and seem to indicate you think $3.99 is too much money for a FIOS STB. Honestly with a 22" LCD I am not sure it is worth getting any HD TiVo, the Series 2 can record from a STB and might look ok on a 22" set. I would try that first as it will likely be your cheapest option.

Good Luck,

4. Aug 1, 2011 #4 of 14
    rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    I agree, I would prefer to use the Series 2 by itself. The reason for mentioning a Series 3 is it has a QAM tuner, and I could then tune the FiOS stuff without a box (I know - I'd have to pay for a Series 3 - I'm ok with that). My TV QAM will pickup channels from FiOS without a box, though I guess the QAM and a guide is a problem for the TiVo........

I couldn't get the Series 2 Digital (grey/beige not the old black style) to pickup anything with an antenna connected. And I know the antennea is ok because I hooked it up to my 42" in the other room no problem. Couldn't find the option during setup to tell it to use an antenna or search for channels. I thought they had an ATSC tuner built in? Maybe I'm wrong.

Cable cards are $3.99 as well from FIOS.

I'm trying to figure out options I have. Ideally I would get a Series 3 (or other HD model) rent a cable card for the main TV and dump the Motorola DVR. I seemed to have read though the older Series 3 models require 2 multistream cards to record dual tuners. That would wash out the savings of dumping the Motorla DVR. I just can't see getting a newer HD TiVO if I don't have too.

I'd like to get something setup in the bedroom but really don't want to give FiOS $3.99 for a digital box (rental) to use my Series 2.

5. Aug 1, 2011 #5 of 14
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Series 2 is not a digital Recorder and does not have digital tuners, so you need a set top cable box or a digital converter box for antenna. Cable cards will not work in a Series 2 because there is no slots built-in. Analog tuner inside.

A series 3/HD/HD XL or premiere does not use the cable box or converter box for antenna. It can record QAM but no guide for them unless cable cards installed. It can record 2 channels at once and lets you watch another recording at the same time.

Subscriptions for Premiere and S3 are different, $19.99/14.99 msd for the premiere, older models such as S3/HD are $12.95/9.95.

6. Aug 1, 2011 #6 of 14
    DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    FIOS and the Premiere make a great combo. Yes the card is 3.99, but don't forget it is a multistream, so 3.99 gets you two tuners.

7. Aug 1, 2011 #7 of 14
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    rbenotti, I guess you mean you have a Series 2 DT? The DT stands for Dual Tuner, not DigiTal.

8. Aug 1, 2011 #8 of 14
    rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Ah - I see. That explains it.

I just can't see spending $20/month plus a card for Premiere. TiVO HD sounds like a better option for a single multistream card rental (I have a $6.95/month TiVO fee I'd like to transfer over).

I'd rather spend $7.95 on Netflix or something.

9. Aug 1, 2011 #9 of 14
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Why not just get lifetime?

10. rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Unfortunately I don't have the $500 for lifetime at the moment. I know - I'll spend more monthly in the end. Just easier on my budget.

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think you can transfer the $6.95/mo multi service discount over to a new TiVo. The MSD price now is like $12/mo and I believe you will have to pay the higher price if you "transfer" it to a new unit.

Doesn't FIOS offer some analog channels? If so those can be tuned with the S2 TiVo's internal tuner. If not then your only option is to get a cable box, or an ATSC tuner box, to use with the TiVo. Unfortunately if you do that you'll relegate the TiVo to single tuner mode since it only has dual tuners when things are tuned via it's built in analog tuner.

Dan

12. rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    From what the chat associate at TiVO said yesterday I would be able to transfer the $6.95 to a Series 3 or TiVO HD. I'm going to ask again.

The plan with that would be to get a Multistream cablecard from FiOS and dump the DVR in the living room (would cost a few $ less even with the card rental cost and I'd have TiVo again :) though I give up one demand and widgets)

I setup the Series 2 as FiOS but it saw nothing :(

This wouldn't fix the bedroom but I may just use a QAM tuner connected to a PC.

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    This answer seems to be correct and has been verified by other posters. There have been new TiVo HDs available on ebay for about $85 which you should be able to sub into your $6.95/mo subscription rate.

Good Luck,

14. rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    $65 for a used TiVo HD and a cable card being sent by FiOS (surprised about the no truck roll - we'll see how that goes).

Be nice to be able to use a TiVo again.

First order or business will be capacity upgrade! Off to the upgrade forum!