What to do?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TiredRetired, Mar 27, 2011.

1. TiredRetired

TiredRetired New Member

Mar 27, 2011

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm a retired old fart, as you can probably tell from my internet ID. :) Now that I have more time to watch TV I purchased a WD 1TB expander for my Comcast DVR. Everything worked fine until they upgraded my IPG/OS to the S28 software. Now I have lost the consistent performance I once had with the SA8300. Numerous freeze ups and rebooting. Disconnect the external and everything works fine. Comcast tells me it should be working normally, but it is not. I am now on my third box with the tech coming back on Tuesday for what I fear to be another exercise in futility.

Now, I am considering a Tivo. Not wanting to spend alot of money, as I already give Comcast a ton of it every month for the triple play service, I am considering purchasing a Series3 from ebay and getting the discount for the pre paid annual fee. I will save 8 bucks a month turning in the cable DVR and will be spending 10.75 for tivo. I can live with that.

I have lurked here and done my homework. It seems there is a love/ hate relationship here with tivo, not so unlike the Comcast DVR boxes.

Now to my question (finally). Will I really be that better off with a Tivo? I consider the improved interface to be a plus, really. I want/need a DVR that will not freeze up every day, losing recordings, buffer and whatever. It sounds,in reading here, that I would be safer in this regard with the Series3 over the newer premiere.

I know with the M CableCard, I will lose OnDemand, Caller ID on my TV and MyDVR Manager. Three important features, but willing to give up just to get a DVR that I do not need to hold my breath with every time I push a button on the remote. :eek:

Some input from those in the know here would be appreciated.:D

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You may have a bad DVR Expander.

The Series 3 (original) will need 2 cable cards no matter what type it is. The Tivo HD (also a Series 3) can use 1 M-stream Card or 2 S- Cards. Both can record 2 channels at once, off cable or antenna or combo.
    Premiere can also do this, but must use 1 M- Card since it only has 1 card slot.

They must have a Tivo subscription for functionality. $129/year, 399/lifetime, 19.95/monthly (call Tivo for 12.95).

One function a Tivo has that cable DVR do not have is the ability to transfer recordings to computer or another Tivo.

You can still buy a S3/HD new on amazon.com

3. TiredRetired

TiredRetired New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Yes, I thought about the possibility of having a bad DVR expander. However, my problems started the day the software in the 8300 was updated. Right after it finished downloading, I checked functionality and the first time I freeze framed live TV it froze and needed 3 reboots to recognize the drive and start working again. Next day, same thing. Worked flawlessly up to the point of software upgrade. That would certainly point the finger away from the HD, but I may send it back for warranty work anyway.

Lot's of Series 3HD for sale on ebay for around 50-75 bucks some even include a wireless G adapter. So not a big investment there. I will have 30 days to cancel any annual subscription so no gamble there as well.

I know many here like the premiere better because it is newer and has an HD menu and most likely it is prettier. But do you guys feel that the Series 3 is more stable and dependable? I seem to get that feeling by reading old posts here. It is older, so it would seem most of the bugs are worked out by now.

How can I tell the difference from a Series 3 and a Series 3HD? Most of what I see on Ebay says HD in the name. Is there something else I should be looking for. I don't feel like buying an SD box. Those should be free by now anyway. Who needs one of them?

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area