What to do with older series 2 DirecTivo units?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by vsaltv, Dec 27, 2011.

1. vsaltv

vsaltv New Member

Oct 26, 2005
    I have recently learned that DirectTV won't even activate these units no more (HDVR2 I believe).

What are some good uses for them?

2. Rainy Dave

Rainy Dave Regulated User

Nov 11, 2001
    Puget Sound...
    I offered my R10 to anyone that wanted to pay the cost of shipping. It now has a happy home in sunny Florida.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The only real value is in the power supply. The hard disk is typically too small to be of interest and the mainboard is not directly usable, though I suppose it could be stripped for parts.

4. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    I just activated a Phillips DSR704 three days ago. No problem.

5. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    DSR704 has a RID and that's ok. DirecTV will not activate non-RID receivers unless they were previously on your account.

6. doyling

doyling Member

Aug 11, 2006
    I am with sevel on the power supply. It should get you $30 or more on EBay.

7. vsaltv

vsaltv New Member

Oct 26, 2005
    wow thanks for the responses, i'll strip 'em down and sell for parts i guess. I thought maybe I could activate them myself and use them to transfer video from my other tivo, but I guess it's not possible no more?

8. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Are these boxes that were previously on your account? If so, you can activate them. There is no transfer capability, though, unless you hack both the sending and receiving boxes (and add Ethernet adapters.)

9. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    I'll take one and pay the shipping. My ex would absolutely love her old tivo back. Please PM me.

10. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    I had three old ones with issues - ebayed them and got $1.00. I lost money on shipping too :)

I should have donated them to Goodwill and taken the tax writeoff.

11. HarryD

HarryD New Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Lehigh...
    My DSR7000 died... sad day after almost 9 years of excellent service (two HDs)

12. flytrapper

flytrapper New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    I have a DSR7000 boxed and ready to ship (remote included), if anyone wants to pay the cost of shipping. It was working the last time I connected it...

--Mike

13. bradnic

bradnic New Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Wheaton,...
    I have 5 Phillips DSR704s in the Chicagoland area, all hacked with MRV support. Each has either a 250GB or a 300GB drive and the remote. Please PM me if you're interested in them.

14. bradnic

bradnic New Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Wheaton,...
    for those that tried to PM me about these DSR704s I have been unable to reply (not enough posts after all these years). just reply to this thread if you're interested. just pay packaging and shipping and you can have one (or all).

thanks

15. dwellar

dwellar Member

Apr 9, 2006
    I would be interested for two. I'm just west of you in Batavia, so no need to pack or ship. I could pick up or meet at a parking lot, your choice.

16. Joe_Q

Joe_Q New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    I'd like one too, bradnic.

I've been without one for a couple months now. I would really appreciate it, if you could send me one.

Please respond back to this thread (and let me know), if you will, or you won't.

(I don't have enough posts, to include my E-mail address) (I need to make 2 more posts)

I've also forgotten my old Tivo Community username and password, so I can't PM you back either.

I'll be more than happy to pay S&H, to send it to me, just slightly west of Boston, Ma.

Joe Q

17. Joe_Q

Joe_Q New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Just adding another post, so I can include my actual E-mail address, to my previous post.

Admins & Moderators:

Please do not delete this post. Your system says I need to make 5 posts, before I can add my E-mail address. I don't want to miss out on this offer, from bradnic.

Joe Q

18. Joe_Q

Joe_Q New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    System tells me I have to make one more post, before I can add my actual E-mail address.

Again,

Admin & Moderators:

Please do not delete.

Joe Q

19. Joe_Q

Joe_Q New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Never mind.

20. Sgiarde

Sgiarde New Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Like others, recent changes to my setup mean that I have a 3 units looking for good homes. I've listed the models below and would be happy to send them as long as you pay for the shipping.

Hughes DirecTV DVR2 - works fine, comes with peanut remote

Hughes DirecTV HDVR80 - works fine, comes with peanut remote

Hughes DirecTV DVR2 - Experienced issues with one of the tuners from time to time...the other tuner works fine.

I'm in Northern California (in case you are too and a meetup would be easier). Again, if you are interested, shoot me a private message and we'll work out the details.