What to do with Old Boxes w/ Lifetime

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by telstar, Feb 3, 2012.

1. telstar

telstar Member

Sep 4, 2002
    I'm curious what my best bet is for older boxes. Since 2002, I've owner four different TiVo boxes ... all activated with lifetime subscriptions.

• TiVo HD - Actively used.
    • Series 2 - Non-HD but hooked up to a new HD television.
    • Series 1 - Upgraded once w/ new hard drive & network card. Sitting in a box, not being used
    • Series 2 - Gave it to family member.

What are my options if I wanted to upgrade either the S1 or S2 that's infrequently used to something HD-capable? What do most of you do with still-functional TiVos that you can't really use anymore due to them lacking HD inputs and outputs. Is eBay my only real option?

thanks,
    telstar

2. bkc56

bkc56 Designated Grunt

Apr 29, 2001
    Santa Rosa,...
    Actually, we're still heavily using both our two lifetime Series I Tivos with Comcast. One is using the little converter box, the other is limited to the analog channels Comcast supplies (which covers all the major networks).

I wouldn't mind at all having a fully working lifetime S1 as a spare. We've had a disk failure (replaced) and a modem failure (switched to an external modem) over the years. But you never know when something harder/impossible to fix might happen.

You selling? ;)

3. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    I would hold on to the S1 if I were you, one thing most people are aware of that they wont tell you is that it is possible your S1 is one of the lucky few where you can xfer the LT to a newer unit free of charge. That one special quality makes the S1 worth an ass load of cash if again, it's one of those lucky ones. If not then you'd probably be looking about $100 - $150 for it.

Edit: Before you do anything with any of your units, be sure to do your research so you dont toss anything away that you can make use of / is a potential gold mine for you. Just because someone says there isnt something available doesnt always make it true hence the do your research. Also, any TiVo working or not has value with a LT sub to it so never ever throw one away, if in doubt list on eBay for what you feel it's worth but shoot a little high and accept best offers. It's what I do to maximize my chance of getting what I want if not a bit more.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    There are no upgrade programs. There were a couple of upgrade programs in years past (which is how I got S3 & TivoHD).

You could sell them on eBay.. someone probably still wants a S1 with lifetime. Heck, I might take one off your hands.. i.e. if you were literally going to throw it away.

5. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Ooo I should sell my s2 with lifetime. No use for it

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If lifetime for that S1 was purchased on or before January 20th, 2000, it's eligible for a one-time only transfer to another TiVo.

If not, it's still good as an anchor for Multi-Set Discounts for newer TiVos, for you or for a new owner.

You can also try selling on Craigslist.