What to do with my S2 with lifetime?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by RMD03819, Oct 28, 2015.

1. RMD03819

RMD03819 New Member

Oct 28, 2015

Advertisements

I have a 40 hour S2 box still showing as active with lifetime on my account.

Years ago, when I stopped using it, it was failing plus I switched to DirecTV and at that time Directv did not support TiVo. I don't want the DirecTV TiVo box they offer now.

Is there any reason to keep this unit? I am only concerned that if I switch to TiVo in the future I might be able to transfer/get a discount on a future lifetime subscription. I really that is a big maybe based on a forum search.

Would I need to exchange the actual box?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The last thing TiVo would want is you shipping them back hardware that old.

If they should offer you any kind of deal that involves "unlifetiming" that S2, what they would do is change an entry in their database, and when that unit next contacts the TiVo servers and reports its unique TiVo Service Number, instead of being told that it has a lifetime sub the way it would have been before, it would now be informed that the account status was something like "account closed".

(They wouldn't care if that S2 actually did contact their servers or not, 'cause it doesn't have to acknowledge the account status change for it to be in effect.)

Recently (about the time that the new TiVo Bolt came out, by an amazing coincidence) "account closed" has come to mean "account closed and you can never reactivate this unit 'cause it's too old" for any TiVos older than the Premiere.

However, if that S2 hasn't connected to their servers in a few years, they may or may not ignore it in favor of still active lifetimed S2s if they ever do any kind of upgrade offer.

If you get discouraged and decide to recycle it, offer it here on TCF for the cost of shipping to anyone who might want it first, just in case.

3. RMD03819

RMD03819 New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Thanks!

4. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    And the forecast would no doubt include sub-freezing temps in Hell.

Tivo can't even do something simple like combine service dates for billing to combine multiple units into one bill. Getting them to do something like what you suggest (which does seem like a fine idea) wouldn't be something I'd hold my breath waiting to see...