What to do with my lifetime S3 with failing HDD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pmiranda, Jan 22, 2016.

1. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Last year I started noticing some issues on my S3, ran kickstart and found the HDD is starting to throw errors.
    I unplugged it then to save money on cablecards and we've just been using a lifetimed premiere. I no longer have the time or interest to hack it.
    It seems like with the new pricing, having more than one box gets you nothing from TiVo.

I'm thinking I should power it on to get the new mp4 update and make sure it's basically working, then put it on ebay for somebody that would want to replace the drive, hack it, or otherwise use it for ota or on cable systems that don't charge so much for cablecards. (Or for someone that runs a museum...I still have the original box :)

Do I have that right or am I missing something?

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Is this the original S3 OLED or the HD model as only the latter are getting the MPEG4 update? Also does it have lifetime as that's the only way that someone else will be able to use it?

I'd probably try to sell it locally on Craigslist first since the value won't be huge with a failing hard drive even with lifetime. $75 maybe? $100 would probably be pushing it if they have to replace the hard drive with the current eBay selling prices.

Scott

3. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Original OLED... actually the failing drive is an upgrade... I should probably swap the original drive back in so that there are no doubts about it for a buyer.

I don't want to get rich off it, just want to see it go to a good home :)

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If it's lifetimed, I can give it a good home as an OTA machine (and a new hard drive and re-capacitor-ed power supply). PM me and let's see if we can come to terms on $.

5. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Yes replacing it with a working drive would be good although they aren't updating the software on the S3's anymore so it would be best to place a new image on that original drive if it wasn't already updated to 11.0m.

And definitely better to find a good home! :)

Scott

6. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Hmm. Old drive works perfectly, but even after a couple phones home it's stuck at the k rev. I'll try letting it sit overnight and see if maybe it just hadn't had time to unpack the updates.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Tivo isn't sending software updates to the S3 OLED anymore.

8. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Yeah I even tried a kickstart 56 and got this on the Almost there screen:
    Connecting to the server...
    Error : Bad connection.

Damn TiVo has gotten cheap on this. At least they didn't force-choke it to death.

9. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I did warn you that they aren't providing software updates to at least the S3 OLED models and that you'd need to reimage it (if it was an HD it should receive 11.0n that was just released).

Scott

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think 56 stopped being supported a year or 4 ago and they just never bothered to announce/admit it.