What to do with a Series 2

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Anotherpyr, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Oct 9, 2018 #1 of 30
    Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    I picked up a couple of series 2 TiVos on a whim. I wanted the case for a project because I liked the look. Initially I thought about putting a TiVo bolt in it, but the cable card being on the bottom of the bolt makes this a less than ideal solution. But it would make for a working pc case.

The real question is what to do with the guts of the series 2. Both of them still work and have content on the drives. Which is making me have second thoughts about gutting them.

2. Oct 9, 2018 #2 of 30
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Do they have lifetime subscriptions on them?

3. Oct 9, 2018 #3 of 30
    Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    I’ll check but I doubt it.

4. Oct 9, 2018 #4 of 30
    pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    If they do have lifetime subscriptions they can control an OTA digital tuner adapter or a cable STB.

If they don't have lifetime, TiVo wont reactivate them at this point, since they're beyond EOL.

Bigg likes this.
  5. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    I finally got around to checking one of them. Since it doesn’t specifically say lifetime like my newer models do I’m assuming it’s not. So really the question becomes, “Is there a market for parts?” If not I’ll just pull the parts out and and put them in the recycle pile.

Not so much looking to profit, but would need to cover shipping and eBay fees if sold there.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Doubt there is much of a market. I'm think S2 is near EOL for support.

7. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    If you haven't done so, I'd be tempted to plug the boxes in and start them up, and see if they function--could be a secret Lifetime subscription there. :) (As TiVo has taken down its phone network (or just most of it?), you would need a wireless adapter for the box to make a connection to TiVo's servers, such as the TiVo Wireless G Adapter, or another network adapter arrangement.)

Otherwise, just a parts machine, at best, as TiVo won't sell a subscription for it at this point. Also, with all due deference to the steadfast Toshiba Series 2 TiVo box I have at my house, the tech. is getting pretty old-in-the-tooth at this point, and needing an OTA signal converter box for OTA programming (which then comes in at SD).

Might be something to try to sell on Craigslist--I routinely see them there, at well under $100.

A hidden gem possibility: if the boxes have Lifetime, hold on to them and have them connect up to TiVo's servers every month or few months so that TiVo considers them as active, and wait to see if TiVo has another upgrade offer for the Series 2 boxes (e.g. buy a new Bolt box from TiVo at retail and transfer the Lifetime subscription to the Bolt box for $99).

unclehonkey and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  8. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    I sold my old wireless G adapter when I transferred the lifetime on my premiere to a new bolt. So I have no way to connect them to the internet at this point.

In other news one comes up with account in good status, service level: I: -
    The other has account status closed, service level H: -

So I assume the second one is only good for parts. The first one depends on the meaning of I. I assume it means inactive, but is it inactive because its lifetime has been transferred, or is it inactive because it hasn’t contacted the mothership?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  9. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Don't forget that if it hasn't connected since service was canceled it will still report that it has service.

10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    One person recently reported here of still having phone-line connection to the TiVo servers, with a Series 2 box. You might try at least the first box with a phone line connected and see what happens.

You also could telephone TiVo Customer Support to check the boxes' status (sorry, I should have thought about that right away).

11. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    So true. For giggles I checked my premiere that had lifetime during the $99 transfer event. It says product lifetime service, and has the I: - service level.

I stopped paying for a landline unfortunately. Next time I need to send or receive a fax I’ll probably regret that decision.

12. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Google Voice VOIP via an ObiHai box transmits faxes well, IME. I haven't had an occasion where I needed to receive a fax.

13. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Also just parenthetically re faxes, there are online services that will send an electronic attachment out as a fax, at low cost or even for free for a limited number of pages.

As to the Series 2 boxes, I'd call TiVo and ask them what service is on each box. A relatively easy call, and there could be a nice surprise there. :)

14. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    I checked with TiVo yesterday and neither unit has service.

So if anyone needs a spare power supply, main board, or drive let me know before Saturday as they’re going into the electronics recycling bin.

Both had 80 GB drives, one was Maxtor, the other one a Western Digital.

What was interesting was that internally they were different. One is a 649 unit and actually has Ethernet on the main board. The power supplies are different too.

15. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Too bad the dice didn't roll your way . . . .

16. rpj22

rpj22 Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    SoCal
    Where are you located?

17. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    Maryland

18. ArcticGabe

ArcticGabe TiVo is my friend

Dec 27, 2001
    Michigan
    Interesting.... Please do post the details if you mount the Bolt into the Series 2 box. I have an old Series 2 down in the basement with no service, and I just got a new Bolt OTA, so no worries about cable card slot. If mounting it in the larger box helps to keep it cooler, then I think this is a great idea! It would also allow the use of a regular 3.5" HDD!

Now you've got me really thinking about this.....

19. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    Well then ....

87B83615-0394-4A57-AAF7-E7A6D2BEB6C8.jpeg
    Series 2

1CE162F3-91A1-4D3F-8FC5-A8F6C554BD69.jpeg
    Bolt

9FE8EF8C-FBB0-40AC-9E5C-6FB5170ABF2D.jpeg
    Comparing main boards, the bolt is slightly bigger

B07E93B8-B89B-45FA-8E75-8E32D4A8F180.jpeg F46497C4-14E0-4932-9490-B6BE32104E34.jpeg

Possible layouts. Hard drive was something I had lying around for visualizing how it would look. Also I pulled the heatsink off the Broadcom chip.

Some observations:

LEDs, and wireless will need to be moved to be visible from the front as well as outside the metal case which may prove to block RF signals.

While there is a lot of space with the bolt in the case since the bolt’s power supply is in the power cord / adapter, water cooling may not be feasible. While I was able to find a 60mm by 120mm radiator that would fit in the case, I didn’t see any self contained systems less than 120mm x 120mm. It doesn’t mean it’s impossible, just more fabrication and venting out the top of the case with a 120mm unit. I didn’t see any reservoirs that I thought would fit. Water cooling seems to assume you’re using a tower case.

As far as the cable card, cutting a hole and adding a plastic door that pops off wouldn’t be difficult. I would need to come up with some spacers as the bracket assumes there is a piece of plastic between the bracket and the main board.

I removed the heatsink to get a better idea of what options I’d have. Sadly most off the shelf cpu heatsink and fan combinations aren’t going to work as they typically put the cpu in the center and not offset to one side like the Bolt’s heatsink. This means a water block or other heatsink would need a bracket fabricated to use the existing heatsink mounting holes. A simpler alternative is to just keep the existing heatsink and mount a 80mm fan on top to improve cooling.

Just my thoughts. There is a lot I don’t know so someone else may have the answers. For me the next step is to visit the local hacker space to see what they have to offer for fabrication as well as ideas and knowledge that might fill in my huge gaps.

ke3ju and Idol like this.
  20. Matt Hoyle

Matt Hoyle New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    I have a couple Series 2's that are ready for recycling, also. Both were in working order when they were taken out of use. (a few years ago)

If anyone has a use for them, please message me. I'm in western North Carolina.