What to do while I wait for Cablecard?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Gregg 00SS, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Gregg 00SS

Gregg 00SS New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    I just received my new Premiere, but Comcast can't show up for a few days to install my Cable Card. I currently have a Comcast HD DVR, I don't suppose I could run the cable out from my DVR into the cable in on the Tivo and be able to use it while waiting for the card?

While waiting, should I get the Tivo activated and get it connected to the internet to download updates, etc... so once I get the card I'm ready to rock and roll?

2. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, you need to setup the box before the CC install, so run Guided Setup, allow the box to download the latest software, and setup your line-up.

You have the option during Guided Setup to install the CC later and choose that option. By doing this now, you save a few hours and ensure the box is working before the installer arrives.

3. xultar

xultar New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Get a nice drink (a double), put on some comfy clothes and go through the setup. You'll be able to watch basic so go ahead and start the process.

There are a few updates and tons of stuff that you can get done before the installer gets there.

You can also go ahead and set up your netflix activation, you tube and amazon accounts.

Once that is set up you can watch VOD too. So don't wait.

4. Josh

Josh New Member

Feb 5, 2002
    Does anyone know if the box will let you pull shows from another active Tivo in the house while you're waiting for the Cablecard or will it stop you because of some copy protection thing until it verifies you can get those channels?

5. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    As long as you have a TiVo subscription on both TiVo boxes, transfers should work. I think transfers have to be enabled in your TiVo account, but I don't recall taking any action to enable them for my TiVo HD and my Premiere, and they do transfers just fine.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    go out and buy a 2tb drive for updating after the card is installed. read through the instructions and burn the cd.

you can also install tivo to go or investigate which other programs you may want to use for transferring.

call and azk if you can do a self install to save some dough.

7. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I agree with what everyone else says, except, that if you are interested in doing a self install of the CableCard. I would suggest you just go to the local service center and ask for an M-card. If they have one, take it go home. In my case, when I tried that the person on the back end didn't get the information properly into the system and they rolled a truck anyway. If I had known what I needed them to do, I think I could have gone without the truck roll.

I am moving soon, while I have a appointment scheduled for them to come out to move my service, if I can get everything done on the phone, I will cancel the appointment and save myself some money. If it isn't a first install to start up your cable service, you can subscribe to "service protection" for $1.99/month (at least for my location) and not have to pay for truck rolls.

Find the local service center here: http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/shop/retail/StoreLocator.html