TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

What to do? (replacing a failed 10-250)

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Texas George 
#1 ·
One of my HR10-250s died sometime over the weekend while I was out of town. I am pretty certain it's the harddrive that failed since it's stuck on the "powering up" grey screen. But I find it slightly suspicious that one of my other Directv Tivo units, an HDVR2, also failed over the weekend (and out of the six boxes I have here at the house, these two are the only ones connected to a phone line) though I was able to eventually get the HDVR2 to reboot.

But my question is this: I am thinking I can image over the drive from my other working 10-250 unit to get the failed unit back running (like I did earlier this year for another, older HDVR2). Assuming I purchase a new harddrive for it, etc... should I bother given it's impending obsolescence? Spare me the personal biases against the H21-whatever units Directv is now pedalling or mpeg4 compression schemes. While I too will miss Tivo, my life isn't tethered to my television and cable tv is not an option. My querry is more about avoiding wasted spending of time and money.

Also, while I am seeking advice, I currently have a phase III dish connected to a Terk BMS-58 5x8. Understanding I'll also have to eventually upgrade the dish to a KA/KU band dish, do I understand correctly that I will also need to upgrade the 5X8 switch? I am thinking of the Terk MS-WB616 since it will allow me to run dual connections to all of my dual receiver boxes (again, I currently have 6 boxes spread throughout the house but only two of them have dual feeds since I am currently limited to 8 outputs). Is that a suitable choice?

Finally, anyone else have a Directv Tivo box crash this weekend?

Thanks for your input.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

Regarding the crashed TiVos. I think there is a software update being sent out, v6.3e. And you need to have the TiVo connected to a phone line for it to be downloaded. It is possible that the update was downloaded on the two TiVos and when the update was applied, it failed. Now you are in a reboot loop. Check your System Information to see what version of the software is on the HDVR2.

TiVos have 2 system or boot partitions that contain the TiVo OS. The procedure for updating the software is -- the new update is downloaded into a secondary boot partition and applied, the primary and secondary boot partitions are swapped, then the TiVo reboots at 2:00 AM. If all goes well, the TiVo will start working. But if there is a problem with the little used secondary boot partition that has now been set to the primary partition, the update and the hard drive will fail.

It may well be worth re-imaging a new drive for the HR10-250. You will have to get a drive that is >= 250GB, however. If and when you get the new HR20 or HR21, DirecTV will probably let you keep your HR10-250. You could then decommission your HDVR2 and just use the HR10-250 for SD programs, since it probably has more hard drive space than the HDVR2.

I can't comment on the multiswitch and dish questions. Someone else will have to answer them.

Good luck,
robomeister

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yep, I confirmed the HDVR2 is now running v6.3e firmware so it's likely it's exactly as you suggest.

Hmmm, so if my 10-250 harddrive didn't fail but rather the upgrade did, then maybe it's worth a shot to reimage the original drive first before buying a new one (what do I have to lose?).

Good idea about keeping the 10-250 to decommission the older units. I still have 2 Sony SAT60s that I think I will decom first.

I guess my next question goes back to the multiswitch deal. Are the new KA/KU dishes (and multi-switches) retro-compatible with the older systems since I'll likely have a mixed use system?

#5 ·
Spoke with technical support at D* and they are sending me out a replacement HR10-250 so the upgrade to the newer boxes may just get to wait yet.

It was interesting to note that when I spoke to their tech, Lavar (sp?) was his name, he didn't sound surprised at all that my unit may have died during the firmware upgrade.

Could be that they are aknowledging that there have been widespread problems?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

#7 ·
Texas George said:
Spoke with technical support at D* and they are sending me out a replacement HR10-250 so the upgrade to the newer boxes may just get to wait yet.

It was interesting to note that when I spoke to their tech, Lavar (sp?) was his name, he didn't sound surprised at all that my unit may have died during the firmware upgrade.

Could be that they are aknowledging that there have been widespread problems?

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Are you sure they are sending the HR10-250 and not the HR20-X00? Virtually every post I have read here, DBStalk and AvsForums people have been receiving the HR20.

#8 ·
Good question, and I too have that concern.

So I specifically asked that very thing explaining what I'd read online and moreso, that of the seven boxes I have, (I had previously thought it was six but remembered the one in the back bedroom remains active even though I don't have an active feed running to it), the main four in daily use are Tivo units (two 10-250s and two HDVR2s) and I'd hate to have to train family members on the intricacies of a new unit.

Lavar, the tech I spoke with, assured me it would be another 10-250. Personally, I remain skeptical until I receive the actual replacement. If it turns out to be an HR20 unit, I can't say I'll be overly disappointed as I know the day will eventually come where I'll want the complete HD line up. But thus far, only two of the seven TVs in the house are HD compatible so I can't say I'm in a huge rush to get there.

Thanks again. I can't say enough how I've valued everyone's input on this and similar threads.

#9 ·
As predicted, Directv sent me an HR20-700 despite my specific inquiry and assurance from their tech support person it would be the same model as the unit I had (though I again wasn't surprised).

OK, no biggie. I'll survive, right?

WRONG! I tried for a week to get used to the HR20 and while I didn't have too many problems relearning how to program, set up season passes, or control the remote in the dark, the biggest obstacle I just couldn't overcome was the lack of dual live buffers. It's amazing how spoiled Tivo got me on that one feature.

After a week of trying the "work arounds" I just couldn't tolerate it anymore and cracked open the other 10-250 I have and cloned that HD onto the HD of my failed box. I didn't buy a new drive or anything, rather, I just used the same one that was in it, speculating (correctly, it seems) that the boot partition swap during the ill-fated v6.3 upgrade failed due to a glitch in the process rather than a mechanical failure.

So far, the box is working fine and has since successfully received the v6.3 upgrade. In fact, both 10-250s have been upgraded and appear to be working fine.

So I called Directv earlier this evening to complain about the HR20. "First off, your tech support person flat out lied to me in telling me I would be getting a replacement 10-250. I specifically asked him and he assured me. But we (the CSR I was speaking to) both know that was never to be the case. Strike two came when I learned that a critical feature, a dual live buffer, is not offered on the HR20 and all the talk I've read online says Directv is not interested in offering that feature. Please pass on the message up the chain that they are absolutely full of it if they don't think it's a desired feature. I'll call it a foul ball to now know that in a couple of weeks, my 10-250 will be obsolete anyway as they won't receive the new HD channel lineups. And I am going to have to shell out a big chunk of money to replace my equipment."

"So tell me <name of CSR>, what are we going to do to prevent Strike Three because we both know what happens then. I will cancel my account, which I have had since the days you bought out Primestar."

In the end, they are allowing me to keep the HR20 (the necessary evil box I'm going to have to eventually learn to love), sending me a new Ka/Ku dish and a new 6X16 multiswitch. I was going to try for another HR20 box to replace the
"other 10-250 that won't work with the new YD channels" but thought that would be getting greedy so didn't push it.

After being lied to by the tech guy last week, I made sure to record the conversation this time and nowhere during the call did the CSIRO state I was obligated to a 2 year commitment (though truthfully, I've been with them for too long and have too much invested in their equipment to cancel anytime soon anyway). Installation is scheduled for Tuesday 9/11 so I'm going to have to really pore over any paperwork I am asked to sign to see if any contract extension is hidden in there.

I'll report back next week to disclose how things turned out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.