What to buy? Multiple Edge, or Edge & Mini's

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by caterich, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Aug 4, 2020 #1 of 11
    caterich

caterich New Member

Aug 4, 2020

Advertisements

I called the customer service desk to walk me through what I needed to get Tivo in my home. I know I need an Edge for the main box, but I need to have Tivo on at least 2 other TVs. The guy on the phone said I needed to have ethernet connections for at least one, as Tivo will only support one wireless mini? Does that mean that to have Tivo in my entire home I have to pay to have cable installed throughout the house? Or would it not just be cheaper to buy multiple Edge boxes?

I am NOT a TV, DVR, Network expert. I just want to get the easiest thing for my Spectrum cable install coming in, and I hear their DVRs are awful. I am surprised only one mini can be wireless if you have a high speed internet connection?

2. Aug 4, 2020 #2 of 11
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Things that are BS can be surprising. A Mini "talks" to your router unless you are using MoCA. The wireless Mini, meaning you have bought their wifi 5 adapter, is still a wireless device, so your environment is a factor as is the quality of your router. MoCA is the preferred method, followed by Ethernet then wireless or powerline. To work the Mini uses a tuner on its host. So if you have a four tuner EDGE, you can run three Mini at once (with a really good router). If the TV sets do not have coax near them, then powerline or wireless may be the choice that doesn't require you to run Ethernet to each TV.

mdavej likes this.
  3. Aug 4, 2020 #3 of 11
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Most homes built in the past several decades have at least coax in several rooms. Is your home not wired for cable TV at all?

Keep in mind that every Edge is also going to cost you $15/month in fees. Minis have no monthly fee.

4. Aug 5, 2020 #4 of 11
    caterich

caterich New Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Unfortunately - my house was built a long time ago, in El Paso. No coax in the place. Though when I call Spectrum to install cable, they are going to have to actually install some at that point. I don't know how much I can convince them to run though. But there is nothing in the walls of this house that was already there. It is an old hacienda home. I would like to just get minis if I can, as we do not watch tv in the bedrooms nearly enough. I wonder how much it would cost me to run the coax...

5. Aug 5, 2020 #5 of 11
    pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014

Advertisements

You can try wireless or powerline

mdavej likes this.
  6. Aug 5, 2020 #6 of 11
    caterich

caterich New Member

Aug 4, 2020
    I was looking at wireless for the minis, but their helpdesk said I could only run one of the minis as wireless. I am reading correctly above that this is false if I have a strong router? ie 2 minis connecting to the router? I would have thought that possible so I was surprised when the sales rep said only one can be wireless.

7. Aug 5, 2020 #7 of 11
    pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Perhaps using the TiVo WiFi 5 USB adapter only allows one WiFi Direct connection to the DVR and that is what the rep had in mind. However, my understanding is that WiFi Direct wasn’t implemented. So, I assume it only works like a normal WiFi adapter to which I’ve not heard that there are any limitations for the number of minis connecting wirelessly.

You can try any other wireless adapter as well and as long as the signal is good and strong, you probably won’t have an issue. The DVR and Minis just need think they are on Ethernet.

8. Aug 5, 2020 #8 of 11
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have used a WUMC710 wireless adapter to have three A93 Mini run at 1080i to a basic Roamio on the floor below. This was a few years ago and I didn't run it for more than a few hours. Now I have two Mini feeding a basic Roamio on two different floors. My router is a Netgear R8300. I am also using a Mini Vox with the wifi 5 adapter.

When they come to install your cable, why not have the cable run to each TV? And please stop quoting TiVo's garbage. It makes me dizzy. If you do run coax, I would use MoCA.

What model is your router?

shwru980r likes this.
  9. Aug 5, 2020 #9 of 11
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    If that means big distances and brick or stone interior walls, I'd skip wifi and do powerline. It should be easy and reliable, provided all locations are on the same phase (same side of the breaker box). Minis can be quite fussy about wifi unless it's really solid.

10. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I had problems trying to run a mini that was hard wired and a Bolt that was wireless. I would lose the connection every few days. Ended up switching the Bolt to wired.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Definitely worth finding out, given the increased reliability over Wireless or Powerline.