What tivo box to use with Direct tv?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by qubert75, Aug 15, 2007.

1. qubert75

qubert75 New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    I apologize if this is a stupid question but I have been searching online and can not find the answer. I have a series 2 tivo box with the lifetime subscription. I am moving and Comcast does not service my new home but Direct tv does.

Does this mean I need to get a new tivo box? Or will my current box work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Current box will work fine.

3. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    As stated, the TiVo box will work using the IR Blaster to change channels. However, you will be limited to recording the program you are watching (can't watch one channel and record another) with a SA TiVo.

D* has a DVR that is NOT TiVo based, but it has two tuners, allowing you to do this, or you can look for a TiVo based box from one of the vendors on this site or eBay, Craigslist or similar. You'll pay a monthly $5.99 fee to D*, but that is for however many DVRs you have, not per box (additional receiver fees will still apply).

Those are your options in a nutshell.

4. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Note that DirecTV will not activate any used equipment when you first open your account. However, once you've set up your account and have activated new receivers on it you can add more equipment later, whether it be new or used. A series 2 DirecTivo will give you the best bang for your buck with DirecTV and it will be cheaper than the fees you've beeen paying to use your old Tivo with Comcast. The cost savings increases as you add more DTivos because there's only a flat $5.99 DVR fee with DTV rather than a separate subscription for each individual Tivo. You will have to pay the $4.99 mirroring fee for each DTivo but that's pretty cheap in comparison.

5. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    The Op has lifetime to tivo so the 5.99 will be an added exspense! But dont get the directv dvr. It Is NOT Tivo.Just get a regularDirectv receiver and hook it to your s2 standalone.

Btw you cant transfer the lifetime to directv.

6. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    But the picture quality won't be as good with the S2 because it compresses the video stream. The Directivo doesn't. If it were me I'd sell the S2/lifetime on Ebay, get one or more R10's (the true dual-tuner Directv-with-Tivo box) and just pay the monthly fee. The price you'll get for the lifetime on ebay will pay the monthly fee for years.

7. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    I must agree here! :up:

8. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    I am also in agreeance.

Directv/Tivo units have alot better picture and sound quality, than a Series 2 Tivo unit, as Directv/Tivo units record in Digital, compared to Analog of the Tivos.

Also, with a Tivo unit, you have Single Tuner, compared to Dual Tuners of the DTivos. Add to that the Dual Buffers of the DTivos, and a SA Tivo cannot compare.

Sell the Lifetime S2 on EBay, and use the Money to purchase the Directv/Tivo units. BUT: I would not get the R10. Look for a Series 1 or 2 Directv/Tivo unit. Why?

The Series 1 and 2 units can be hacked to add features such as Home Networking etc, very similar to a SA Tivo. The R10 cannot without a Hardware Prom Mod.

9. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    By the way welcome to the forum.. Look forward to hearing from you...