What the uses for the usb?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Smithspot, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Smithspot

Smithspot New Member

Jul 25, 2016

Advertisements

I'm sorry, maybe I missed something... But what are the usb inputs for?

I have the bolt now. Don't need it for the wifi adapter no more....so what are they there for? They made an effort to put 2 on it so it has to be useful for something I hope. Can someone please tell me what that may be.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    I don't think it takes much more effort to put in two USB ports vs one, but TiVo isn't one for making unnecessary expenditures.

Currently, the most common use is probably for plugging in a tuning adapter. Back in the day, it was used for the wireless network adapter.

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/USB-hub-support-on-TiVo-DVRs

3. Smithspot

Smithspot New Member

Jul 25, 2016
    But nothing really for the bolt? Other than tuning as well...

4. OmeneX

OmeneX Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Streaming...
    The top USB port is primarily used for the users who require Tuning Adapters. The 2nd port while I don't know of any specific uses - would be available to use if the TiVo company has any future hardware expansion plans, external media USB reading capabilities or additional connections. Such as a USB External HDD instead of e-SATA only like they currently have. **shrug** Just guessing.

I know what I currently use the 2nd USB port for. :) Mine powers a localized mini USB Fan to keep the area cool that also doubles as a clock.

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL

Advertisements

Same here. :up: :)

6. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Mine powers a flux capacitor that allows my TiVo to go back in time and record all the shows I may have missed that I realize I want to watch now! :p

7. Steve

Steve TiVowner since 1999

Apr 23, 2003
    White...
    I use both Bolt USB ports to power the Roku and Chromecast HDMI sticks that are plugged into my AVR. Very convenient.

8. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    How do you get that sucker up to 88mph? :eek:

9. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, I have a wireless keyboard dongle plugged into mine so I can avoid having to use the onscreen keyboard that you navigate one character at a time.

10. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I have it installed in my RV! ;)

11. VillaRegina

VillaRegina Member

Aug 25, 2016
    I use one of the usb ports to power my amplified indoor antenna so I don't have to plug it into a (very much needed for other items) socket on my power bar...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

MooreOKalex likes this.
  12. bkc56

bkc56 Designated Grunt

Apr 29, 2001
    Santa Rosa,...
    Having not seen this thread yet, I tried plugging in a USB stick with some video files on it just to see if the bolt would "see" them. It didn't. But it sure would have been convenient.

13. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Is it possible that the new TiVo Mantis might be able to plug into the USB port on TiVo DVRs for storage space?

14. bkc56

bkc56 Designated Grunt

Apr 29, 2001
    Santa Rosa,...
    And a question: do the ports stay powered even when the Bolt goes into standby mode?

15. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I'm thinking they wouldn't bother doing that with the USB ports, rather doing it via ethernet since the mantis is a network DVR.

That's a very interesting concept and thought though, so maybe.

16. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Yes. I used them to power a PS3 remote translator device, and it continued to work when my TiVo was in standby. Ditto for the tuning adapters which are powered from the USB connector; their power LEDs remain burning when the associated TiVo is in standby as well.