What the hell...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by thirtysixe, Apr 17, 2017.

1. thirtysixe

thirtysixe New Member

Aug 21, 2016

Advertisements

When did TiVo outsource all customer support?! I have been calling repeatedly over the last hour, and have yet to reach a representative in the US. Did TiVo US go on a retreat or something?!

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Probably when Rovi bought them.

3. thirtysixe

thirtysixe New Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Wow. After 16 loyal years, I may just be done with TiVo. So not cool...

4. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I had occasion to call them the other day. Initially I got somebody in the US and explained my question. He said he had to move me up to a higher level of customer service where they could help me with this. Ok. I waited a while on hold and ended up connected to somebody outside the US.

Ok, I'm not one of those Ugly Americans who freaks out and hates on these people. So I explain the thing again. This woman - I don't know if she was just doing something else or purely didn't understand. It was not a complicated thing and I was concise, yet explanatory - basic thing. She kept asking me to say it all over again until finally I just asked her if I could get to somebody stateside again. Took a couple of times of making that request (I stayed polite and clear) before she understood it and sent me back to somebody in the US.

Frustrating.

Mikeguy likes this.
  5. Scooter Scott

Scooter Scott Member

Jun 1, 2015

Advertisements

Sadly more and more companies are going that way. To keep up with the rapid pace of technology you have to make changes...this is an unfortunate one most companies are making

6. idksmy

idksmy Guest

Jul 16, 2016
    IMO, it has nothing to do with keeping up with the rapid pace of technology and everything to do with reducing costs.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I'm just as shocked that folks are surprised by this.

What does loyal mean, and how is that related to call center support?

ncsercs, dianebrat, Mikeguy and 2 others like this.
  8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I just tried to call support so I could transfer a used Mini I bought over to my account. The message said the estimated wait time was 5 minutes. I hung up after 20 minutes. I tried the chat but they said they can't do that sort of thing via chat for security reasons. :rolleyes:

9. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I just went thru the same thing. Called to cancel service and waited about 10 minutes and hung up. I waited awhile and called back, same thing. Finally got thru and the guy was really nice, but I almost could not understand him. No retention deals were offered, and before it was complete I just hung up and waited. I went to the store and after lunchtime I phoned again. Same situation as before, but I let the cancel go thru this time.

I wasnt cancelling because of Tivo's bad service or anything, I'm getting rid of cable thats why. I might try to get one of those OTA's soon.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I can understand all of that (and good to know that one can request a stateside rep.--I never would have thought of that and typically just continue muddling through). In contrast, I recently had a successful call with TiVo's Philippines call center (I specifically asked where the support person was located, during the call)--not technical but requiring consultation concerning my account, on the rep.'s end. She was helpful and very polite, continuously apologizing for the delay on her end; and no language issues.

The only thing I didn't like, was: the call center was noisy (I could hear the mulling about in the background) and the call generally felt somewhat "anxiety-driven"--I could almost feel the clock ticking away on all the time I was taking, affecting the rep.'s call center performance numbers (something I've never felt in calls with stateside reps.). Welcome to the current support/call center world.

TEDALLAS likes this.
  11. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    You can't do this online anymore? Last two minis I bought, used, I simply did it online.

12. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    TiVo outsourced their customer support about a year before Rovi. I wouldn't be surprised if Rovi didn't move it to another vendor after the acquisition, though.

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    How do you do that? Only option I saw was activate. I tried that but it sats it's alread active on another account.

14. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    face it, Tivo has gone to hell after the Rovi merger

ncsercs likes this.
  15. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And the end of the world is fast approaching.

JoeKustra likes this.
  16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It depends which channel you watch. :eek:

sharkster likes this.
  17. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I don't think it's there yet. However, it appears they are on the road to it.

ncsercs likes this.
  18. Scooter Scott

Scooter Scott Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I keep watching to see if I need to dump my TiVo equipment. I'm hoping that they stay afloat but I'm not optimistic.

TEDALLAS likes this.
  19. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Actually the new "TiVo" is pretty stable and not very dependent on stand alone DVRs for financial survival, so not much to worry about there. More likely that at some point they exit the stand alone DVR hardware business.

In the end what is likely to get our existing equipment is tech changes. Cable drops QAM and doesn't provide support for third party STB on their IPTV systems & OTA moves to ATSC 3.0 and drops all or most ATSC 1.0 broadcasts, if those 2 things happened none of our existing equipment would be good for anything. I am guessing most of us have 5ish years left to use our stuff.

20. Scooter Scott

Scooter Scott Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Appreciate the insight. I'm good for using this for another 5 years. :)