WHAT THE HELL!!! is going on!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by DingoAce10, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1 of 14
    DingoAce10

DingoAce10 New Member

Sep 13, 2007

Advertisements

Ok, what the hell is going on with my S3.

First one, fried HDD
    Second one...mysteriously rebooted, was told it was a "power issue" so I bought a $129 APC back up with AVR and a $229 Belkin PureAV Power Console.

I got 9.1 last week (last thrusday). This past sunday I got the HDMI "handshake" problem for the first time (after switching to play my 360 and then back to the Tivo input). Fixed it by rebooting.

Last night I got the HDMI "handshake" problem while 2 recordings work going, so I didn't want to reboot...I unplugged the HDMI cable from the Tivo and left it out for about 10 secs. It didn't fix it AND the f'n thing rebooted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I missed 7 minutes of the recordings!!!

What the hell is going on!

I don't want to be pulling cables, rebooting or turning the TV on and off if I switch to another input on my TV!!!

The only thing that is different as of last week was that I got 9.1 and I downloaded a show from the "free" downloads area.

Can someone PLEASE enlighten me!!! I bought the TIVO to replace a VERY crappy Verizon FIOS dvr! But I am coming close to regretting the purchase!

Thanks!!!

2. Nov 2, 2007 #2 of 14
    flc

flc New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Huntersville...
    When I get the HDMI Handshake error, I find turning off the TV fixes it, but not a quick turn on/off though, it has to be for a good 20/30 seconds (my tv switches off to a semi-standby state in case you didn't mean to turn it off before it "clicks" off at that point)

3. Nov 2, 2007 #3 of 14
    DingoAce10

DingoAce10 New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Flc, that is what my TV does...It is a samsung DLP which is always on "standby" mode.
    I am just getting pissed off with all of these problems...

When it works...it works GREAT!!

4. Nov 2, 2007 #4 of 14
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Others have also fixed the HDMI handshake issue by switching from one video input to another (i.e. HDMI1 to HDMI2 and back)

5. Nov 2, 2007 #5 of 14
    DingoAce10

DingoAce10 New Member

Sep 13, 2007

Advertisements

Actually I did try that...But not to another "HDMI" input...I just cycled through all of TV inputs.

Also...I am not sure why it rebooted for no reason...if the HDMI cable is unplugged for a certain time, does it reboot?

6. Nov 2, 2007 #6 of 14
    TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    I have the HDMI handshake problem with ALL of my HDMI equipment. (XBOX 360 Elite, Pioneer Blu-Ray, Samsung Blu-ray, Sony Blu-Ray, Toshiba HD-DVD, XBOX HD-DVD, TiVo S3, any even with my Pioneer Elite Receiver.

I think the problem is with HDMI and the whole spec & how the TV's handle it. I don't think the HDMI Technology is fully "FIXED" yet. I beleive the problem in HDMI though is directly linked with the HDCP BS.

I have 3 HDTV's and I played "merry go round" with my equipment. And it does this on ALL of my TV's.

So like I said I think the problem is with the HDMI/HDCP spec and that it has some DESIGN FLAWS... However... some say those flaws are fixed in Version 1.3 and if you have all 1.3 compliant HDMI devices you don't have that problem.

TGC

P.S. I am selling my Pioneer BDP-HD1 Blu-Ray player on Ebay. Ends in 2 days.

7. Nov 2, 2007 #7 of 14
    DingoAce10

DingoAce10 New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Thanks Texas...But it doesn't seem to do it on all inputs...
    I can switch to my HDMI 2 which is my PS3...Go back and forth and it seems fine...

So how do you fix the problem...because it is going to become a real pain if I have to turn my TV off and on to fix it every time I wanna play my 360

8. Nov 2, 2007 #8 of 14
    Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Finally someone with sense.

The problem is that HDCP totally sucks. Tivo cannot change or fix HDCP issues.

"HDCP is licensed by Digital Content Protection, a subsidiary of Intel. In addition to paying fees, licensees agree to limit the capabilities of their products."

If Tivo were to fool around with HDCP they could get their pants sued off and lose the right to utilize HDMI on their products.

You could probably purchase an HDCP filter which would eliminate all your 'handshake' problems but they're illegal in the United States.

9. Nov 2, 2007 #9 of 14
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    You've piqued my curiosity. Which HD TVs do you have? Are you trying to run all of those components through the Pioneer receiver?

I have a similar problem with my TiVo HDs connected directly to my Samsung HL-T5087S -- the first time I tune to one of them after turning the set on, I'll get the "HDMI Connection Not Allowed" message for a split-second before it goes away and everything works as it should. I don't get that message with the Oppo DVD player.

10. DingoAce10

DingoAce10 New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    I have an HLS6188W...

11. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Uh, my S3 worked with my TV and receiver for about a year without any problems until the 9.1 software update. Maybe TiVo was required to enforce a more strict handshake to turn on TTG and eSATA, or maybe they just screwed up, but the problem is clearly exercised by the latest updates.

For me, not using standby seems to have fixed the issue. Also some people report that using the Format button on the front panel can shake it out of its funk, but the OP is the only person that noticed an additional problem I had: TiVo would just reboot within a minute of me trying to wake it up from standby.

12. DingoAce10

DingoAce10 New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, it seems that all of the problems started to happen when I got 9.1.

What do you mean "not putting in standby mode"? Ever? Cause when I switch to another input to play games or something, I don't put my tivo into standby mode. But when I turn off my system, I do.

Yeah mine rebooted after a few minutes...it is like when you try and get the handshake back it locks it up...I have lost 4 recording because of this!

I found the remote code for standby mode so I am hoping to test that out (putting it in standby mode and then taking it out) next time it happens.

THIS SUCKS!!! the CRS rep on friday night had me QAing their machine all friday night with no results.

This NEVER happened with my Comcast and Verizon FIOS cableboxes so it is something to do wiht TIVO..and not just the HDMI handshack....

And Texas, if you are having this problem consantly with all of your HDMI inputs I would look at your TV then...cause that doesn't seem right.

My PS3 and my cableboxes (when I had them), NEVER had this problem.

Also when I flip back to the Tivo input, I get no sound...I use the HDMI cable only for video and optical for sound, so if I switched back and it was only a video problem then wouldn't the sound still be coming through my reciever...It is like TIVO is in sleep mode and won't come out. Cause it is definitely not in standby since I can see the names of what is recording and the time is there.

13. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I mean not ever. I only saw the problem when turning my system on, because I only put it in standby when I turned the system off. Some folks reported that the order in which you turn the TV and TiVo back on makes a difference, although if you're seeing problems just switching inputs without putting the TV or TiVo in standby/off then you've got it worse than I do. The only hope I can offer you is that (unlike a TW cablebox I had a few years ago), HDMI worked flawlessly on my S3 for about a year so this seems to be a software problem that should be fixable with software.

14. DingoAce10

DingoAce10 New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, so maybe I will try NOT putting my tivo is standby mode when I turn my system off. I usually do it before going to bed...
    I will just turn it off with it on normally...then test it out after turning the system back on...
    Maybe the standby is cached or something...I don't know...I am probably jsut grasping at straws here.