What speed spliter for Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Wexlerbob, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Wexlerbob

Wexlerbob Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Southern...

Advertisements

I am rearranging my setup to add Cox Mini. That will require some new cable splitters. Cox has provided splitters rated at 1000 Mhz. I know that Dish network requires 3000 Mhz rating on "splitters".

What rating is required for splitters for good performance on the TiVo Bolt.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    MoCA can work w/ standard cable splitters (1 GHz), so you can give that splitter a try. If looking for MoCA-rated splitters, see here.

If you're adding MoCA to your Cox setup, ensuring the proper tuning adapter setup and a "PoE" MoCA filter would be the highest priorities.

3. Wexlerbob

Wexlerbob Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Southern...
    Not using Moca at all.
    I have 1000 Mb wired Ethernet to two Bolts and two TiVo Minis.
    The coax is only bringing the cox signal to the Bolts, the Tuning adapters and the new Cox Minis.
    The Cox Minis are being added so the wife can still watch TV when the tuning adapters act up, which seems to be once or twice a week. She is technically challenged and won't even look at how to reset the systems.
    I hate to split the signal so many ways, but Cox refused to pull home runs and I haven't chosen to rewire their work, yet.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ah, it sounds like a "Cox Mini" is an entirely different device from a TiVo Mini, then, and has its own tuner, thus requiring a connection to the Cox TV signal?

If you're not doing MoCA, 1002 MHz is the top end frequency Cox should be sending down your coax lines, so the splitter they provided should suffice. (At least until Cox begins implementing DOCSIS 3.1.)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. Wexlerbob

Wexlerbob Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Southern...

Advertisements

Cox Minis are now working.
    One Bolt is working but told me that the Cox/Cisco Tuning Adapter does not support 4 tuners. That explains why when we were watching 3 TVs we could not start a recording.
    When I have more time (just spent almost 2 hours on the phone with Cox) I will pursue additional solutions.

6. Wexlerbob

Wexlerbob Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Southern...
    Cox tech couldn't figure out how to make tuning adapters and TIVO work together and told me it would require a truck roll and $55 charge to go any farther. I said no thanks.
    About an hour later I went back to check on th TVS after doing other things and it seems everything that wasn't working is now working, except maybe the less than 4 tuner issue. I will have to figure out how to test that and what to do about it.

famichel3 likes this.
  7. Wexlerbob

Wexlerbob Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Southern...

Yes a Cox Mini is about half the size of the TiVo Mini and does have a tuner and translates the encoded signal which Cox now uses to prevent direct connection to a smart TV and people watching more TVs than they are paying for. We were very happy with coax direct connect to TV until a year ago when they forced a set top box for every TV. Enter TiVo.