What software comes with the unit?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by robinson1010, Jan 10, 2011.

1. robinson1010

robinson1010 New Member

Nov 30, 2010

Advertisements

I'm curious what software is “ours” that come with the unit. My contract is about to expire and I am ready to manually setup to record blocks of time if need be; or upon expiration do they wipe all or certain operations.

Thanks,
    J. R.

2. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    Nada. Read the software agreement. Specifically, item 7:

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    You can play black existing recordings, tune channels, and pause and rewind the live TV buffer. That's all, AFAIK. No recording, not even manually.

The exception is those units that came with "TiVo Basic". No current or recent models did, though. You don't say what kind of TiVo you have.

4. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    I'm pretty sure the "TiVo Basic" offering was lifetime and since the OP said the contract was about to expire, I don't see that this is relevant.

The fact that you play back existing recordings is not guaranteed. According to that agreement, nothing stops TiVo from pushing out a software update today that would block that. We'd hate them for it (like we hate them for changing channels to record advertising) but it's explicitly allowed in the agreement. You can tell lawyers are in charge - they can disable DVR functionality on a paid contract and we wouldn't have legal recourse beyond cancelling the contract (see section 6).

5. robinson1010

robinson1010 New Member

Nov 30, 2010

Advertisements

I bought the TiVo (off of Ebay) in the first place just to use as high capitcity recording device because my DVD recorder was beginng to fail. It had 3 months of subscription left on it. I guess my thinking was skewed. Plus it doesn't allow for time changes.

6. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    My understanding is that the units always have access to TiVo Basic, but they can also be subscribed to the regular TiVo service on the regular terms. Thus, if that expired, they would revert to TiVo Basic (instead of boat anchor mode).

But it's what actually happens.

Nothing is "guaranteed" with almost any software, per the EULAs, nor is any ownership conferred. TiVo is unremarkable in that respect.

I don't know what you mean there.

7. robinson1010

robinson1010 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    When I said it doesn't allow for time changes, I meant when daylight savings time ends, there would be to change the time ahead an hour.

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That issue has been working correctly in TiVo from the start, some problem with Series 1s when DST dates changed, but all the rest of the TiVos do it just fine.

9. robinson1010

robinson1010 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Even if I let my subscription expire?

10. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    If you have no subscription, then it hardly matters what time it is, since you can't record.

But the TiVo, like all modern computers, is perfectly capable of compensating for DST on its own, yes. It would only be an issue if Congress changed the rules again.

11. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo would upgrade the software for new DST and software is upgraded for unsub TiVos, but as you point out the correct time would have no value.

12. robinson1010

robinson1010 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    As I said earlier all I wanted was a high capacity DVD recorder so I didn't have keep changing out my DVD disc, so I screwed myself there. Can anyone suggest a DVD reorder with a built-in hard drive?

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I wouldnt put DST as a software fix in Series 2s as a will happen, or pretty soon in the Series 3s. Now, they could have done it right in the Series 2 and later software, and put the DST chart in the DB or a file in the OS, where they could change it with no software update, bur a Runme script or a DB push, like they do for guide or IR DB updates.