What signal strength?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Goober96, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Goober96

Goober96 Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC

Advertisements

What signal strength should I expect from my high definition channels? I have some that are high-90s and some that are low-90s to high-80s. I don't have a severe problem with pixelation, but every now and then there is that problem along with a short audio drop out. I'm just wondering what signal strength others are getting and what I can do to get mine on up on the channels that are weak. I already have a booster, but maybe I need another one. Thanks.

2. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Your signal strength should be in the 90's or peak at 100... Tivo told me yesterday that some members have reported a signal strength in the 40 - 60 percent range...

At that strength Tivo reports that you will have a black screen...

Having a sig in the 80's is acceptable by Tivo standards...

Anything higher, 90 percent or better, is considered excellent, by Tivo

3. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    It's totally hit or miss. I have OTA channels that break up and are unwatchable at anything below 65%, but channels that come in strong and clear at 50%.

It's all about multipath, which is my guess as to why your high strength channels periodically break up.

For the most part, my signal strength averages around 70% and is perfectly watchable UNLESS I'm getting multipath interference. But signal strength can't help you there (even the one channel that I have that averages 98% has intermittent break-up and audio loss when its windy outside -- I'm in a ground floor apartment with an indoor antenna in a wooded area...).

4. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I agree, OTA is a completely different beast than CableCard digital channels. My PBS-HD affiliate comes in at 52% OTA and its completely watchable. Occassional macroblocking. Since the "b" and "c" software revisions, the rest of my channels, which range from 80 to 100% signal strength, are macroblocking free except for when a helicopter flies by and causes multipath (which I know happens because I can hear them taking off from the hospital and flying by at low altitude).

5. BetaEleven

BetaEleven New Member

Sep 9, 2005

Advertisements

Having just had my CableCARDs installed yesterday and since I previously had signal issues with my Tivo HD on a regular 4:3 TV with channels 0-99, I was anxious to test my signal strength. My digital channels are perfectly watchable at a peak of 68%. However, when I talked with Tivo support, they recommended a booster. Anyone know of any good ones? I'd rather bump my signal up if possible, so I don't run into any future issues.

6. Vindictive

Vindictive New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I have a very similar experience I am using OTA and analog cable hooked up to my TIVOHD and on both OTA and analog I get macroblocking. Is anybody else having these same problems with analog cable also, I would like to find out if I have a bad unit or something else is causing my problems. I also have a TIVO series 1 that has no issues with the analog cable, it was previously hooked up to the same cable outlet and cable as the TIVOHD is currently connected to. Also my signal strength is consistently in the high 80's to low 90's on the OTA.

7. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I get some pixelation on our local CBS HD OTA when it hits low to mid 80s. However, that may be due to trees and wind. Above that I have no problems on any of the local HDs here.