What shows should sci fi be airing?.....

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by emandbri, Jan 25, 2010.

1. emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO

Advertisements

I'd say Charlie Jade. They did show it after the writer's strike but they showed it a few times in the evening and then moved it to 2 am or something. Our DVR didn't catch one after the time shift (even though it should have), messed up on another episode, and then we stopped watching since it is a show you really need to see in order. If they show it again I will watch it.

I would like to see classic doctor who. I've only seen the new ones.

I've only seen the first episode of red dwarf and already love it, they could show it.

There are plenty of old movies they could show. I can't remember who showed it but another channel had Enemy mine and we watched it with the kids. I've been wanting to watch the last star fighter, if they showed it I would watch it.

What do you think they should show?

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I came in here to say classic Doctor Who. I think people would definitely watch them.

Red Dwarf was a lot of fun. I'd watch it again.

Although the show seriously went down the toilet in its last couple of years, I'd like to see Andromeda again.

Maybe some type of show that does behind-the-scenes interviews with significant sci-fi authors, directors, visionaries etc...

3. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Charlie Jade! That was sooooo good.

Last Star Fighter

4. Linnemir

Linnemir Member

Apr 7, 2009
    TGA with those posted already - Classic Who, Charlie Jade, Andromeda (confusing as it was at the end).

Isn't it time for another run of Bab5? Firefly? FARSCAPE! (Though I now own all three on dvd ...)

My dream is a version of Dresden Files based directly on the books with Nathan Fillion as Dresden. Or a version of Butcher's Codex (again, based directly on the books. Each book tells a story yet is part of a larger story arc).

5. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA

Advertisements

I've always wished they showed old sci-fi movies.... Forbidden Planet, Incredible Shrinking Man, When Worlds Collide, etc. A tiny bit newer: Planet of the Apes, Silent Running, Logan's Run, Andromeda Strain, etc.

Besides movies, they should be the one stop place to see old syndicated series such as X-Files, Outer Limits, Night Stalker, etc.

6. LacyinTX

LacyinTX New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Texas
    I don't know about SyFy in particular, but why isn't anyone (that I have been able to find) showing Star Trek: Deep Space Nine?

I agree Bab 5, Firefly, Farscape.

7. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    It's not sci-fi but TNT shows two hours of Angel five (six?) days per week and has been doing so for a couple of years. Who the heck's watching them? I'd like to see shows like Babylon 5 return as reruns but not at two hours per daya. I want to watch it, not live it.

8. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm not a Star Trek fan at all, but how could ANY Sy Fy channel NOT show any of those. And they should buy the rights to the whole Star Wars franchise. Then I would ANY popular Sci Fi or fantasy series throughout the history of TV is fair game. And I would have one night devoted to classic Sci Fi movies from the 50s. Call it Saturday Night Drive In. They could even do this with the MS3K team.

9. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm surprised that SyFy hasn't trotted out a Real World or Survivor type sci-fi themed reality show.

10. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    They had Who Wants to Be a Superhero?

11. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
  12. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    That's out there. What would that look like, a campy Survivor version of Mystery Science 3000 ? :)

I think SyFy should do more re-makes of existing import shows like they are planning with Being Human providing they can get good writers to sign on. Actually re-broadcasting the original series would be a second alternative only because if they are a hit stateside, SyFy would have to depend on the original continuing the series which would be problematic for planning and bottom-line purposes.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I wonder if they could afford any of that?

14. emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I've only read the first book in the series but I would totally watch that! I also really liked Dresden files, was sad to see it go.

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Old movies. They don't seem to show the old movies. They could reshow Mystery Science 3000 episodes. They could show good and the campy SF movies and fantasy movies. Quark and Space 1999 could be reshown to a new audience.

16. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I said this in the other thread -

Have it set up so that certain nights could be repeats of 50's movies and another be new tv show (dollhouse or V was mentioned) and one night be older tv shows - twilight zone, Trek, lost in space, as was mentioned Farscape, firefly, MSTK!!!! I have never seen Red Dwarf but would love to.

I like the idea of the afternoon for kids - maybe some anime that is on other channels or something like Johnny Quest or Speedracer - not exactly sci fi but better than wrestling.

There are more movies that would be more fun and would have me watching that channel then what is being shown now.

17. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Maybe not Speed Racer, but Johnny Quest certainly was sci-fi, albeit animated.

Okay, even Speed Racer, with all that car could do, MIGHT fall into the catagory.

SyFy could be so much better than it is, and all the ideas mentioned so far are great.

As for STAR WARS, tho', SPIKE TV has the rights to all six films, and runs them frequently, often in marathons.

18. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I am just tired of the super alligator in the swamp or jaws 3 or such. Give us some real movies/shows to watch and we will come back.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It comes back to affording it. They used to run a lot more high (or at least higher) profile programming, and now they don't. One has to assume that advertising revenue minus licensing fees equaled not worth it. And since NBC probably isn't going to subsidize a high-quality science fiction channel as a public service, we're stuck with super alligators in the swamp, wrestling, and reality shows, with a couple hours of actual decent sci-fi content scattered through the week.

It may be that the dreaded and evil Dawn Hammer had it right, that they'd be better off having a general action-y channel with science fiction leanings, rather than trying to survive on a diet of pure science fiction...which would be tasty (for us), but not very nourishing (for NBC).

20. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Her name is "Bonnie Hammer", not "Dawn", and an action adventure channel would be just another TV channel. There are plenty of action/adventure movies and shows out there.

Like I said in the other thread, if there was reason for USA to create the offshoot SciFiChannel, there should still be support for it now. The problem isn't with the viewers, it's with the grasp the suits have of the genre and what the channel is supposed to be.