What should I watch this summer?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, May 25, 2019.

1. May 25, 2019 #1 of 118
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Okay so here's my list of shows that I am adding with the ending of so many favorites. I'm not sure which I should start first so for those already watching, give your thoughts please. :)
    • Billions
    • Castle Rock
    • Chernobyl
    • Deep State
    • It's Always Sunny
    • Maniac
    • McMafia
    • The Passage
    • The Terror
    • Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan
    Shows I've started but am not caught up on:
    • Burn Notice (I still have season 6/7 to watch)
    • Fringe (I still have the final season to watch)
    • Ozark
    • Six
    • Stranger Things
    • UnREAL
    I just started Sneaky Pete and I'm 7 episodes in already since Thursday so needless to say I love it. I also started A.P. Bio right before I found out it was canceled so I guess I'll just finish it anyhow, I'm really enjoying it which is what made me decide to add It's Always Sunny to my list. I'm really not sure why I never checked it out before. I love so many of the actors on it.

2. May 25, 2019 #2 of 118
    SoupMan

SoupMan Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2001
    MD
    I’d ditch The Passage. It wasn’t great and I believe it’s been cancelled. My favs on your list would be Ozark, Stranger Things then mix in some Sunny episodes here and there when you don’t have time for an hour program. I’m also going to try to get to Chernobyl before I cancel my post-GoT subscription.

gweempose and photoshopgrl like this.
  3. May 25, 2019 #3 of 118
    markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    I assume you’re on season 1 of Sneaky Pete? S1 was excellent. See recent S3 thread for updates on quality of writing:)

Of the shows listed and I have seen, Billions is great as is Ozark. Stranger Things would be a great summer show to watch...very fun.

4. May 25, 2019 #4 of 118
    photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Oh I didn't realize it was cancelled. I might as well not start it then. Thanks!

I've seen season 1 of both Ozark and Stranger Things. Liked them but just never watched season 2 yet.

Are you saying that Sneaky Pete doesn't hold up over the seasons? That's too bad because so far I'm loving it. Yes, I'm on the first season, just finished episode 6.

5. May 25, 2019 #5 of 118
    lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I am halfway thru S3 of Sneaky Pete and still enjoying it.

6. May 25, 2019 #6 of 118
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Chernobyl is one of the best shows you'll watch this year. Everyone that's watched it is amazed how well done it is. Right from the get-go. You will not regret it. Money-back guarantee. :)

I like Billions, and while this season has stretched the unbelievability factor to the limit, it's still a fun, fast watch. Love every character. Especially since they got rid of the wife & kids.

McMafia is a fun show. Nothing special, but I enjoy it.

The Passage was a great show (IMHO), but with its cancellation, I wouldn't recommend others watch it. I enjoyed it though, even knowing its chances of renewal were limited.

Haven't watched the rest.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Marco and photoshopgrl like this.
  7. May 25, 2019 #7 of 118
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Tales of the City is coming this summer to Netflix. I really enjoyed its original run (I & II), many years ago. Laura Linney and Olympia Dukakis!

Killing Eve is phenomenal. Must see TV.

Marco likes this.
  8. May 25, 2019 #8 of 118
    photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I just added Killing Eve. I'll wait for reviews on the other. :)

9. May 26, 2019 #9 of 118
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Stranger Things S3 drops on July 4. Obviously you could watch that later in the year, but since everyone else will be bingeing and blabbing about it then, watching it timely might be a good idea. That would move getting season two out of the way to a priority spot on your list, I would think.

10. May 26, 2019 #10 of 118
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    photoshopgrl likes this.
  11. May 26, 2019 #11 of 118
    Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    From what I've seen on the top list............Castle Rock and Jack Ryan - bleh

I really liked Maniac and Chernobyl is good. The Passage was a stand alone one season adventure except for the last 5 minutes. It wasn't bad, but still network.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  12. May 26, 2019 #12 of 118
    SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    I loved the first season of Stranger Things, the second season lost me. I may have to go back and try again.

Billions is one of the best shows on TV (I haven’t watched S3 yet though - was saving it for after GOT).

Have you watched the Americans?

I thought Jack Ryan was pretty good. It’s not the same level as the shows above, but was still fun. I’m looking forward to S2, anyone know when it drops?

13. May 26, 2019 #13 of 118
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Not on your list: What We Do In The Shadows (both movie and new FX series)

14. May 26, 2019 #14 of 118
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I gave up on Succession after a few episodes. I may go back as others have said I should have stuck it out. S2 is starting soon.

Billions I watched only the 1st season and have no desire to go back.

15. May 26, 2019 #15 of 118
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    If you have Epix or can get them LOVE Get Shorty (2 seasons done so far)
    A perfect light summer show if of course Shameless!
    Veep is also pretty light and loved it.
    Cobra Kai I love as well
    Weird City is pretty fun, it's a weird Twilight Zone type show but all set in the same city (with the have and have not's, above and below the line)

16. May 26, 2019 #16 of 118
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    You should check out The Passage just for Saniyya Sidney's performance.

To me Cattle Rock had great promise, great cast, but ultimately fell a little short of expectations. When I realized that S2 would not even be the same cast and a continuation of the story I never even bothered watching the finale. Just read the recap.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  17. May 26, 2019 #17 of 118
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    • It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

photoshopgrl likes this.
  18. May 26, 2019 #18 of 118
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Are you looking just for new shows? I recently heard someone raving about Doctor Foster. S1 was 2015, S2 was 2017, and there either is, or soon will be a S3. Jodie Comer is there in a supporting role.

I cancelled my Netflix to get Crave with HBO. Just finished True Detective so will be dropping HBO, maybe ditch back to Netflix to check it out. Not sure it's on Netflix US, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere.

19. May 26, 2019 #19 of 118
    Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Agreed on both of these points.

- I wanted to like Stranger Things S2 and will try again this summer.
    - Jack Ryan S2 is rumored to drop late summer.

Castle Rock was meh. I probably enjoyed it more than those less familiar with the King Universe.

Definitely Killing Eve and Sneaky Pete though.

If you never tried CBSAA, this summer is a good time to catch up on Star Trek seasons . (I just cancelled a 30 day-free subscription but will subscribe again in another 3-6 months.)

20. May 26, 2019 #20 of 118
    photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I didn't get spoiled for season 2 so I think I'd be okay on that. I am not sure why I never watched it, I really enjoyed season 1.

I haven't. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about it.

Veep is one of my favorite shows. Still sad it's over. Shameless just never appealed to me but then I've never actually watched an episode too. I'll look into the others, thanks!

Looking for new shows or trying to figure out if what's on my list is worth watching/catching up on. I've lost GOT, Veep, Santa Clarita Diet, SPN is about it end, and several others are almost done. Plus it's summer and I don't have a lot of plans this year so I'll have time to kill. :)