What should I watch this summer?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by YCantAngieRead, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Jun 2, 2011 #1 of 40
    YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I'm getting a little sad that all my regular season shows are gone for several months.

But there's all this new stuff coming out that I'm not aware of. Someone help me find some shows.

My current favorites are sitcoms. Modern Family, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, etc. I used to really enjoy crime shows, but I've been off of them for a while. But I'd be open to new suggestions in that genre.

What I do NOT enjoy-sci fi, fantasy, teen based shows (Glee, Gossip Girls, etc.) I am open to almost all other genres.

2. Jun 2, 2011 #2 of 40
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Franklin and Bash on TNT sounds promising.

3. Jun 2, 2011 #3 of 40
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    No Reality?

4. Jun 2, 2011 #4 of 40
    dilorc

dilorc Nice Guy

Feb 12, 2002
    Gaithersburg...
    The Wire. Foul mouthed and tough to watch sometimes, but an awesome show.

5. Jun 2, 2011 #5 of 40
    Fixer

Fixer Fixin' it!!

Mar 29, 2005
    The Great...
  6. Jun 2, 2011 #6 of 40
    brott

brott at redh dot com

Feb 23, 2001
    Pleasanton, CA
    Check out USAs Summer offering .. Lot of good stuff there: Covert Affairs, White Collar, etc.

A&E has a cop show that's a little different than normal called The Glades .. It starts it's second season run on Sunday. 1st Season Eps are online and most (or all) of S1 look to be showing up tomorrow and Saturday.

7. Jun 2, 2011 #7 of 40
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I don't watch all that much on the Big 3/4 networks so the summer hiatus doesn't affect me much. I still have way too much stuff on TiVo to watch. I suppose you could try reality shows like The Bachelorette.

Maybe you might like shows like Bizarre Foods w/Andrew Zimmern (like it because it's a travel show coupled w/him eating weird stuff), Mythbusters, How It's Made, How Do They Do It, Dirty Jobs (I hardly watch this), World's Toughest Fixes, Modern Marvels, 60 Minutes, and random CNBC documentaries/specials. I used to watch Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations but found I liked Bizarre Foods better.

If you have HDNet, try out Visions (formerly titled Infocus: Visions), if you want both eye candy and to fall asleep. I like travel and like the scenery/eye candy but whenever I try to watch, I seem to get sleepy. :( I'm going to need to try it as a cure for my insomnia sometime...

I plan to record The China Question on CNBC. Found a clip at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JhoPBgmYj8. Trailer at http://thechinaquestion.com/trailer/.

If you like talking heads type shows, try setting a SP for Charlie Rose. Sometimes an interesting guest comes on.

8. Jun 2, 2011 #8 of 40
    YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    I'm open to reality suggestions, although my husband is the reality fan in our house.

I think I'm going to set up an SP for The Glades. I considered watching it last year, but didn't get it done.

Thanks for the suggestions, all! Keep 'em coming.

9. Jun 2, 2011 #9 of 40
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Lots of reality shows over the summer.. and/or "catch up" on netflix.

10. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Right now we don't have Netflix, sadly. Plus, we currently have no way to stream Netflix to the TV. If we did, I'd be so all over that, people's heads would spin. I would LOVE to rewatch a lot of the stuff they have.

11. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    I'm going to second USA's summer lineup - White Collar, Covert Affairs, Royal Pains. Covert Affairs & White Collar start their summer runs next Tuesday, I believe. Royal Pains on the 29th.

TNT's Leverage is also very good, it premiers on the 26th, I think.

You're obviously behind a few seasons on all of these shows, but it's easy enough to pick up the characters, you'll just possibly be confused on some recurring plot points. Both TNT & USA are known to run marathons of past seasons, so that would be something to look for as well.

I know you said you don't have Netflix, but have you checked with your local public library? Ours often has tv show DVDs for checkout, or are able to get them through ILL.

12. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I have been watching a lot of American Pickers, Storage Wars and Pawn Stars. Gene Simmons Family Jewels starts back up soon.

13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I agree, with the USA lineup (also going to check out the two new shows). I am not a HUGE reality fan, but I usually watch Big Brother....but I am on the fence (as I am every year) whether to spend another 3 hours a week during the summer watching the usual train wreck. I have a TON of movies to catch up on and a few TV series I want to stream, so I may not, unless the family tells me it's really good.

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
  15. etexlady

etexlady Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2002
    East Texas
    Here's a few that I will be watching:

Project Runway
    So You Think You Can Dance
    The Closer
    The Little Couple

16. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm using HBO Go to catch up on Treme.

17. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Angie, I am in the same fix you are in. I have found myself watching old tvland shows...MASH, All in the Family and even the Andy Griffith Show. In fact All in the Family is now a SP. God, I watched Judge Judy last night.

I enjoyed Glades when it was on and didn't realize it was back. There is just this lull, in a couple weeks a few more new shows will pop up.

I don't have HBO or showtime, but Netflix streaming for 8.00 a month (one nights worth of fast food) has kept me sane.

18. swifty

swifty Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Appleton, WI
    I think I watch just about every original show USA has on in the summer. White Collar and Burn Notice are my two favorite shows.

19. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    White Collar and Covert Affairs are having marathons this weekend, Angie - you might want to look at that.

I forgot about Burn Notice - that comes back on the 23rd.

20. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Another vote for Covert Affairs (it is probably the only U.S. originated program still running that I have made more than one post about on this forum).